Latest post Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:55 PM by Adrian Redmond. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:55 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,255

Allocating audio tracks

I have a question regarding how Avid MC (8.5.3) handles the numbering of audio tracks.

My standard sequence layout is -

A1 - (MONO) Sync audio
    A2 - (MONO) Sybc audio
    A3 - (Stereo) Voiceover
    A4 - (Stereo) Music & FX A
    A5 - (Stereo) Music & FX B
    A6 - (MONO) FX
    A7 - (MONO) Wildtrack mono
    A8 - (Stereo) Wildtrack stereo

I have used this track layout for many years, ever since I edited on 1" with a synchronised multitrack ATR in parallel, and using the same layout makes for much easier mixdown, because one knows intuitivly which audio is on which track.

I have created a default sequence for this, because setting Avid to create a new sequence automatically with 4 audio and 4 stereo tracks always gives me a prefixed track order, which does not match the above.

I'll stick with my default sequence but just to udnerstand Avid, I'd like to know if it is possible, on a sequence with the tracks defined, to move a track from being called (for example) A3 to A5 -  I know one can reorder the tracks on the timeline simply by dragging them up or down, and this moves the track and its content, but it still have the same number.

My first desire to try this was the other night, when I discovered that the PAN function on my Artist mix CH. 1 doesn't work (although if I page Artist Mix so that track 1 is on fader 2, then PAN does work. This wouldn't really solve my problem, but it got me thinking about how Avid "ties" created tracks to specific numbers - and as far as I can see, once a track is created as (for example) A3, it cannot be anything else?

Is this right?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller