Latest post Thu, Dec 13 2018 5:07 PM by DStone. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 12 2018 5:00 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,255

Co-install of ProTools and DaVinci resolve with MC 8.5.3

I'm running MC 8.5.3 with Symphony on Win7 x64

It is possible/adviseable to install ProTools and/or Resolve on the same workstation?

Can such a ProTools installation access inputs and outputs via Nitris DX?

I have read the Artist Color works much better with Resolve than MC - is this right?

Are there any caveats or useful advice on these issues?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 5:45 PM In reply to

Re: Co-install of ProTools and DaVinci resolve with MC 8.5.3

Adrian Redmond:

It is possible/adviseable to install ProTools and/or Resolve on the same workstation?  YesThere maybe issues with the most recent versions of Pro Tools  2018 x and MC 8.5x.  Install Pro Tools then MC

Can such a ProTools installation access inputs and outputs via Nitris DX? No

I have read the Artist Color works much better with Resolve than MC - is this right?   Yes. I use it all the time with Resolve but not at all with MC

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 6:15 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,075
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I don't have Pro Tools, but I do have Resolve on the same box as MC. I don't have Symphony, so I roundtrip between MC and Resolve for color correction.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 7:07 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,255

Hi Dave - thanks for your reply. How do you handle the workflow - can Resolve access Avids bins or do you have to capture/import to Resolve separately?

Do you colour grade master clips or the timeline sequence If so, how do you get access to it from Resolve?

I'm curious as I have never tried this, and I did wonder i the difficulty of moving data between applications is the reason that many resolve users seem also to edit in resolve.

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 7:08 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,255

Sad that one about Nitris DX - I do wonder why they didn't make thta a feature, but its an academic question now that DX is supersede :)

Adrian Redmond

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:33 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,255

I don't suppose that Resolve can see Nirtis DX? I'm thinking of how to monitor audio/video externmally whilst working in Resolve? Any useful tips out there?

Adrian Redmond

• Wed, Dec 12 2018 11:33 PM In reply to

Adrian Redmond:
    I don't suppose that Resolve can see Nirtis DX?
    No

Adrian Redmond:
    I'm thinking of how to monitor audio/video externmally whilst working in Resolve? Any useful tips out there?
    I went for Blackmagic's Intensity Pro 4K. This gives me AV monitoring for Resolve via HDMI to a decent OLED screen and speakers.  If I want to use the Resolves Fairlite audio this will output through a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. 

Pro  Tools on the same computer audio IO's via the Scarlet and the video outputs via the Intensity Pro.  Hardware MC outputs AV via HDMI to the same OLED screen and TV speakers. MC software outputs audio through the Scarlett 6i6.

MC, PT's and Resolve are currently co installed on the same W10 machine. Resolve can deliver directly into a number folder in any Avid MediaFiles\MXF\folder and the resolve AAF to MC works directly in MC. I am reasonably sure Resolve can read MC imported or captured media directly from the Avid MediaFiles\MXF\number folders. This option has not been part of my workflow so I have not tried it.

• Thu, Dec 13 2018 5:07 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,075
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Adrian Redmond:
    Hi Dave - thanks for your reply. How do you handle the workflow - can Resolve access Avids bins or do you have to capture/import to Resolve separately?

You export an AAF of the sequence (which contains references to the clips; this is very fast) and edit using the AAF is Resolve. There are a couple of good workfflows posted on this:

The Simple one

The Complex One (From the Avid Blogs)

Another Complex one

In all cases, the result is an AAF with a new sequence containing the color corrected clips. Depending on the amount of metadata you may need to preserve, the simple method may not suffice.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller