Latest post Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:55 PM by Adrian Redmond. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 12 2018 3:12 PM

• apeshake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 20 2013
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

feature request: see list of items in bin without opening

I've been working on an especially slow avid install the last few weeks - I'm shocked at how much time I'm wasting looking through bins to find what i'm after - I wish there was an easier way (please tell me if there already is!!)

My request is a quick way to see a list of items in a bin without opening or going through interplay/production services. A context menu or by hovering over the bin would be really nice! (just text with maybe an indiciation as to what kind of item it is like [seq] on the end)

thanks!

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Dec 12 2018 7:55 PM In reply to

Re: feature request: see list of items in bin without opening

Is CTRL-F / CMD-F not working for you?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 13 2018 1:33 AM In reply to

• Marty McLean
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW, Australia
    • Posts 43
    • Points 455

Do you mean a 'Finder Quick Look' feature for Avid?

Honestly if you can't remember what is in a bin, you need better file organisastion and naming.

2014 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.3 | Avid 2018.12.2 with PhraseFind + ScriptSync | 2.5GHz i7 | 16GB | 2GB GT 750M [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 13 2018 10:28 AM In reply to

Marty McLean:

Do you mean a 'Finder Quick Look' feature for Avid?

Honestly if you can't remember what is in a bin, you need better file organisastion and naming.

Agree. At some point, I began making complete Sequences of Full contents of each bin, and it works well for periodically scrubbing through, adding Markers, tobjust stay in touch with it all. 

Also my Bin names and Folders get refined constantly... but I work alone.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 13 2018 10:31 AM In reply to

• apeshake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 20 2013
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Job ter Burg:

Is CTRL-F / CMD-F not working for you?

It's a good point and sometimes I forget to use that but it's not fast (esp. in larger projects) and requires me to do the work + know the name I'm looking for. If I'm coming back to an old project or opening someone elses project this isn't an efficient way to find things

Projects can always be better organised and our tools can always make work easier - I want both

• Sun, Dec 23 2018 10:55 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,475

Consider using Dylans Templater to create new projects -t hat way you can spend a few hours defining and structuring one default project, with the bin structure that makes it easy for you to sort and find clips, and then use this (othewise empty) project as ther template for all new projects created. You keep the default project on file so that you can modify it if and when you need to.

I have just done this, and spent an entire weekend designing and building a default project, with a logical bin and folder structure similar to that which I used on my previous system for 20 years. It was worth the effort.

default project bin structure

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6-core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller