Latest post Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:53 AM by Job ter Burg. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 9 2018 5:33 PM

• Laurent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2018
    • Montreal
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Delayed timeline / UI responsiveness

Hi folks,

I feel like the timeline isn't as snappy as it was at the beginning of my project. There is always a delay when switching back'n'forth between source/record, trim mode and effect editing mode. There is also a delay with lift and extract, undo/redo, deleting segments with the delete key, nudge up and down segments, dragging segments with the mouse which I don't do that much, but still reproduce the issue. It's not a long delay, only close to one second,  but I always have to wait and it does slow me down at the end of the day.

I am editing my second feature film right now, but this is my first one in Media Composer, the first one was on Premiere. Both are about 90 minutes but I feel like Premiere UI remains snappy all the way through.

Waveform and keyframe display are disable, only clip names clip tracks and sync breaks are displayed. Source clip colors is on, dupe detection is off. I have 8 video tracks, 20 audio tracks. 3 RTAS are on each of the first 8 tracks to enhanced dialogues. I'm on a 6-core Mac Pro, macOS 10.13, MC 2018.11, playback through blackmagic mini monitor. Footage is on a RAID5 system with an average 500 MB/s read and write speed, I cut DNxHR LB at 1080p 23.976. All of that seams to me to be a right setup, I think, nothing is CPU intensive here.

Anyone one expericenced delayed UI responsiveness?

MC 2018.11, Mac Pro 6,1 (6-Core, 64GB, D500) on macOS 10.13.6Blackmagic UltraStudio mini monitor for playback [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 10 2018 12:53 AM In reply to

Re: Delayed timeline / UI responsiveness

Depending on the complexity of the sequence (amount of tracks for example) you’ll likely better off working in reels, as huge sequences can get sluggish.

Also helpful is the “playlength” feature. It limits the amount of pre-buffering MC does and that makes inserts/extracts etc much more responsive.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/en435231

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller