Latest post Fri, Dec 14 2018 8:08 PM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 8 2018 8:23 PM

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,279
    • Points 39,765

UI delay

The world of editing is going more and more to using consumer monitors (think LG c8 UHD) which have no SDI in and fairly significant latency due to image processing.

If you add up all the accumulated latency that comes with getting the picture and sound to one of these with good IO card (AJA or BM) it is annoying to edit with, as Marks on the fly are not accurate (ignore human reaction time). This is in addition to the issue of the UI monitor being earlier than the "broadcast" monitor.

It would be great to have a working UI delay that can be adjusted by the user that is separate from the SDI path so that we can get what we see in the UI and timeline in sync with what we see and hear at the "broadcast monitor".

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Dec 8 2018 9:39 PM In reply to

Re: UI delay

Does moncondel not work for you?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 9 2018 2:09 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,279
    • Points 39,765

Honestly I had forgotten about that console tool. But memory says it did not do what I wanted.

But thanks for reminding me.  I will try again.

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 5:14 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,279
    • Points 39,765

So based on a nudge from Job, I did a quick test today of moncondel.  And it has potential, but ....

It seems to break my AJA Kona3g output in a bad way.

When I put a value into it and then play, all is good.  But if I attempt to move frame by frame, picture output of the AJA is frozen where it stopped playing last.

This was a bug in an old driver version that was fixed.  Bet they never tested with this console command!

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 5:54 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,279
    • Points 39,765

jef:

It seems to break my AJA Kona3g output in a bad way.

When I put a value into it and then play, all is good.  But if I attempt to move frame by frame, picture output of the AJA is frozen where it stopped playing last.

This was a bug in an old driver version that was fixed.  Bet they never tested with this console command!

Jef

I may have written to quickly.  I am seeing the "frozen image while frame advancing" issue with moncondel set at 0.  I had updated to the latest AJA driver when I installed 2018.11 (AJA 15.0.1).  A roll back to 14.0.2 fixed that in normal editing.  Moncondel also does not have the issue.  Off to write to AJA support .....

And thanks Job!

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Fri, Dec 14 2018 8:08 PM In reply to

Glad it works now, Jef!

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller