Latest post Fri, Dec 7 2018 5:58 PM by Adrian Redmond. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 4:06 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 51
    • Points 610

Importing media files to more than one project

I'm just setting up a default HD project that I can use for Templater to create new projects with my chosen bin structure and layouts.

For many years - also before working on Avid - I have always had several "house stock" bins, sorted into relevant folders, available when starting a new project. A good example is my digital copies of BBC sound effects, which are stored on one of my servers in a folder structure that replicates the original BBC discs - thus enabling me to refer to the BBC catalogue - on paper or pdf - and select the desired file - for example BBC SFX 001 - track 21.

This means a folder structure in Avid which is similar - a single bin for each FX disc.

I have similar collections of stock shots, graphics, logos etc. that I wish to handle in the same way.

I have chosen to go the Templater route because the Avid Favourite bins just puts all my favourite bins into a single folder (Favoutite bins) and doesn't allow sub-folders into which I can group relevant bins. Templater will allow new projects to create bins with the folder structure I want.

But my question is...

If I create a bin in the default project, and import files into this bin - will Avid, when opening a new project created on the basis of the default using templater re-import/capture the imported files - so that I end up wasting storage having unnecessary copies of the same files in each project - or will the new project created in this way simply have bins that contain clips that refer to the same originally imported files - thus several projects created in this way will al have access to a given file - but ony a single copy of it (this is what i'm hoping?)

I want to get this right because templating in this way will save me a lot of time and give me access to material which takes ages to import each time I create a new project.

Any words of advice out there?

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 5:36 PM In reply to

Re: Importing media files to more than one project

If you create a bin in a project and import media into that bin (well create master clip shortcust to the Avid created on your media drives) And then copy that bin into subsequent projects no new media will be created.

However all the media imported that way will be flagged with the project name it was imported in. But that probably works to your adantage as the media tool won't show that media unless you select that project.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Dec 7 2018 5:58 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 51
    • Points 610

Re: Importing media files to more than one project

Thanks Pat - that's the answer IO was hoping for!

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller