Latest post Fri, Dec 7 2018 5:23 PM by Kevin Klimek. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 9:24 AM

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 520
    • Points 6,025
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

source and record viewers aspect ratio

Hi

I've just updated from 18.4 to 18.11 and notice the Media Composer window behaviour on resizing has changed.

You can now make it any size you like, rather than the viewer windows being limited to the project aspect ratio. This means the window doesn't change size when you change project format e.g. from 2k flat to scope. It also means that you have black pillarbox/letterboxing in both viewers unles you resize very carefully.

I'm finding it quite annoying. Is this a bug, or a 'new feature'?

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 3:46 PM In reply to

Re: source and record viewers aspect ratio

If you right-click in the monitor, make sure "Resize Monitor to Image" is checked.

That should force your monitor(s) to whatever aspect ratio the footage is.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Dec 7 2018 4:39 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 520
    • Points 6,025
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Thanks Kevin. That option wasn't there in 18.4.

So it's a feature [optional] not a bug :)

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 5:23 PM In reply to

Yes, the ability to freely resize the source/record windows was added a while back. It makes it easier when working vertically (1080 x 1920) for example.

But as you note, without snapping the monitors to your raster size, you risk not detecting when you've moved images and introduced black edges when there's a pillarbox/letterbox there.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller