Latest post Sat, Dec 8 2018 1:25 PM by Adrian Redmond. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 5 2018 8:21 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 55
    • Points 680

Creating standard bin configurations

I guess I'm old school, and because I still shoot on videotape (HDCAM) I prefer to log and capture all my clips using a bin per reel approach, with additional bins for other stuff like graphics, stills, music and voiceovers.

The most time sonsuming job when logging is creating and configuring the bins - selecting the desired columns and column order etc.

is there a way of telling (or asking nicely) Avid that when i creat a new bin, it must look like this - either a single standard, or one of a few user defined choices?

Similarly, is there a quick and simple way of altering the bin content text (when in text view) to have a larger font, without altering the fonts and sizes for everything else in Media Composer. I have two 27# HD PC screens, each running 1920x1080, so when logging (with no index images to loook at) the bin text is quite small and tiring to read, but aletring it globally is also timeconsuming - is there a simple way to switch the bin view, that also takes text settings into account?

Thanks in hope...

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2018 9:15 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 55
    • Points 680

Re: Creating standard bin configurations

I've been amazed and grateful for the many good replies to my other posts, so I have been wondering why nobody has replied to this one :) Maybe many Avid users simply don't use the bins in "text & column mode" so they don't need to waste time setting their bins up?

It is not unusual for me to have between 30 and 60 bins in a project - one for each captured raw tape, then a pile for graphics, stock shots, still, music, voiceovers, sound effects and other stuff.

During logging and capture from tape, I always work with the bins in text & column mode, as it's the only content that gives any meaning prior to capture. After capture, I usually go to icon mode, though return to text if I want the check comments and other details. Similar for shots from DSLR.

Other stuff - expecially audio, is usually always in text and column mode.

I'm still new to Avid, but I find it hard to believe that other users who strive for a tidy and well organised project have to spend time and energy setting the "choose columns" options for every bin they create, and then put the columns of each bin into some standard and useful order - (my standard bin has Name/Tape/Creation Date/Drive/Start/End/Duration/Tracks/Mark IN/Mark OUT/IN-OUT/Video/Plug-in/Audio SR/Comments).

Having the same columns and layout for all bins makes it much easier to overview the raw material. (Most of my productions are not "here-today-gone-tomorrow" jobs, they often are in production for many months and the footage is held on archive for many years - and often re-used or imported into other projects - so it makes sense to have a tidy archive).

Of course I need other column data and layouts for other types of bins - such as audio, graphics etc. For these I also have standard layouts.

This means that I have three or four standard bin column settings and layouts, one of which must be applied manually - on parameter at a time - to every new bin I create.

Call me niaive, but I would have expected some sort of functions such as  "save this bin column layout and column order" or "apply bin column settings" - plus maybe a "when creating a new bin, ask for the which column layout I want" or "set this as the default column layout for new bins" but these features are seemingly noticeable by their absence in MC 8.5.3 - how do other users handle this task? One bin at a time like me? Or do they simply accept the default with almost random snd illogically ordered columns that MC provides?

I'd like to hear if anyone else is trying to achieve the same goal - and how you do it :)

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-2640 6 core HT 2.5GHz CPU 32GB RAM NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics External storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 8 2018 5:05 AM In reply to

This link explains how to create and save different bin views:

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/avid-media-composer/9781849693004/ch02s07.html

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Dec 8 2018 1:25 PM In reply to

• Adrian Redmond
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 55
    • Points 680

Many thanks - now it makes sense - I had initially tried to accomplish this using the Bin layout feature, which only saves the actual layout of bins on the desktop - but with your help I found what had been staring me in the face - thanks, this works!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller