Latest post Wed, Dec 5 2018 8:23 PM by Kevin Klimek. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 4 2018 9:05 PM

Fast importing as ProRes (even though I don't want it to)

hello everyone. Sorry if this has come up before, but my search attempts were yielding the opposite of what I wanted to know.

We are working in Media Composer 8.10.0 on a project that uses an extreme amount of archival.

Sometimes when we receive clips and go to bring them into the system, Avid will fast import as ProRes even though all of our import settings are for it to transcode to DNxHD36 (or 45, or whatever depending on the framerate and project).

This happens whether we do the traditional import or go through the media browser.

The only way we've gotten around this is to AMA link first, then right click and then consolidate / transcode.

Does anyone know if there is a setting hidden deep somewhere (or in plain sight!) that will turn off fast importing as ProRes 100% of the time?

THIS IS SUPER OUT OF DATE. WILL UPDATE IF I EVER REMEMBER System: AMC 8 (probably most recent version, subscriber) - Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.5 GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 5 2018 3:34 PM In reply to

Re: Fast importing as ProRes (even though I don't want it to)

I would try a new user setting as that sounds particularly wonky, especially if you have a different resolution set in the Media Creation Import settings.

HOWEVER, I would STRONGLY suggest you switch to using the AMA method of linking and consolidating/transcoding. You are losing a ton of metadata and some functionality by sticking with the ancient import method.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Dec 5 2018 6:14 PM In reply to

What Metadata would I be losing? So far this has not been an issue for me on any project, so I'm genuinely curious. I usually work on narrative features and when I have I've always received *most* of my footage already transcoded as MXFs with an AAF, so it's rare that I need to actually import anything other than SFX, VFX, and GFX.

As for this doc project, everything I'm bringing in is a screener / archival footage and we've not experienced missing any metadata that would be needed.

Back to the main topic, I don't think it's a user setting on my part as this has also been happening with the others working on the project, but I will run some tests with that. Thanks.

THIS IS SUPER OUT OF DATE. WILL UPDATE IF I EVER REMEMBER System: AMC 8 (probably most recent version, subscriber) - Mac OSX Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.5 GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 5 2018 8:23 PM In reply to

Well, I guess in that scenario you're not losing a lot of metadata, but I'd still recommend the link scenario. One of the biggest advanatages is when you hi-rez your sequences, you only need to transcode the segments (with handles) of the clips you used. With import, you'll need to batch the entire clip, and with some clips, that can be a lot of extra hi-rez material, which takes time and disk space.

As for the main problem, are you saying that when you import you don't get the dialog box telling you there's a resolution mismatch and asking you whether you want to use the file resolution or the media creation resolution?

Do the files you're importing match your project raster?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller