Latest post Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:30 PM by S.Clements. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 4 2018 5:03 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

Sliding markers in the record monitor - no zoom in?

Hey, Guys. I have a question about sliding markers/locators. If you have a few of them on a timeline, they are spaced out enough in the record window that you can alt drag them. But, if you have a long timeline littered with them, you can't get at them in the record window to drag them. This used to be a problem with me for keyframes, until I discovered that little slider that lets you zoom into your keyframes in the record monitor in effects mode. Is there no such thing when not in effects mode, to get at your locators? From what I've read in forums, the answer is no. But thought I'd try asking here. I have some locators on clips that I would love to move, but do not want to go in, copy the name, delete marker, make new marker, paste name, etc.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Dec 5 2018 9:47 PM In reply to

Re: Sliding markers in the record monitor - no zoom in?

You can't zoom into the bar under the record monitor, no.

But you can use the Markers tool to simply edit the TC where the marker is displayed, so you don't have to delete and re-create them.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:24 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

Hmmm... interesting.  Didn't know you could adjust the marker timecode. I thought I tried that, but will give it another go. Thanks.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 6 2018 12:32 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

Kevin Klimek:

You can't zoom into the bar under the record monitor, no.

But you can use the Markers tool to simply edit the TC where the marker is displayed, so you don't have to delete and re-create them.

I can't change the marker timecode.

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:15 AM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,000

What version MC do you have? I'm on v 8.6.3 and I can't edit the Marker Timecode, either, so I expect it's a feature on a later version than we each have.

One thing that may help you, though; Whilst you can't zoom into the timeline of the Record window, you can zoom into the Timeline window. If you zoom into your Timeline so that you can see two points - being where you Marker exists and where you want your Marker to be - the blue line will update on the Timeline as you move the marker in the Record window.
    If it's difficult to see (because of a complex or very long Sequence) you can move it once, close to where you want, then zoom in tighter for a more accurate move.

Also, don't forget that Markers sit on Tracks and behave like clips. So, you can put a Marker on a blank track, and delete or splice-in filler and the Marker(s) will move accordingly. Great if you want to move Markers a specific amount.

Hope that helps. 

OS 10.11.4 Mac Pro Media Composer 8.6.3 with Symphony & Interplay 3.4 AvidFX 6.4 Neat Video 4.1.4 ISIS5500 [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 7:52 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

N Ryan:

What version MC do you have? I'm on v 8.6.3 and I can't edit the Marker Timecode, either, so I expect it's a feature on a later version than we each have.

Thanks for the response.  I'm on 2018.3, so it's pretty up to date.  Unfortunately, I still can't grab the markers, because they're too small and there are too many of them to differentiate.  I will try to put them on filler track as much as possible in future, but there are definitely benfits to putting them on the actual clips themselves. Most editor's wouldn't really bother editing markers on filler in their cutting process.

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:02 PM In reply to

Sorry...I had a brain fart and was thinking about something else. You are correct that you can't change the TC in the marker window either. Sorry for the confusion.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 3:30 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

Kevin Klimek:

Sorry...I had a brain fart and was thinking about something else. You are correct that you can't change the TC in the marker window either. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, man. Good to know!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller