Latest post Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:45 PM by marekbudzynski. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 29 2018 11:41 AM

Sony PXW-Z280 XAVC Long AMA Link Problem

Hi everyone ! I have a big issue when I try to AMA Link footages from a Sony PXW-Z280 in XAVC-L 50 (XAVC-L HD 50). Some clips are readable, some are not, for some others the sound stops after a few seconds, and last but not least, I can't AMA Link my 3 SxS cards, Avid only shows a few clips from each card... I can't import either. My version of Media Composer : 2018-8.

My 3 SxS are perfeclty readable in Content Browser.

I see here http://www.avidblogs.com/introducing-sony-xavc-l-production-workflows/ that the XAVC-L is natively supported by Avid without the need of any plugin... So, what is the problem ? Did I missed something ? Any help would be highly appreciate... Thank you.

Avid MC 2018-8 on PC Intel I7 + 32 Go RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, LaCie 4big Quadra Disc Raid 5, RME Fireface UC audio card + ProTools + Command|8 + Yamaha... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 29 2018 5:03 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,478
    • Points 44,820
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Sony PXW-Z280 XAVC Long AMA Link Problem

Actually you do need a plug-in. You want the Nablet plug-in for XAVC (it's the free one that replaces the Sony version; if you have the Sony verion installed delete it first). Next, you should probably copy the material (the entire folder structure) to a hard drive. Editing off a SxS card is both likely to be slow, and if you accidently delete clip media, it's permanently gone.

When linking to the material, you link the the Private folder. This should bring in all the clips.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Nov 30 2018 11:06 AM In reply to

Thank you for the answer. I should have mentioned that, of course, I did some researches and I have now the Nablet plugin installed for XAVC (nablet_XAVC_XDCAM_AMA_Plugin_Setup_Win_4.5.5.1792) and no Sony plungin is involved as it is a clean install of Media Composer 2018-8 on a new OS. Besides, of course, I never AMA link my SxS cards directly, I always copy them on a fast Raid 5 disk in order to work propelly.

There is no PRIVATE folder in my folders structure, but a XDROOT, and then : Clip, Edit, General... I have no problem with FS7 material but the folder stucture is a bit different...

When I AMA link, everything seems to work flowesly, but MC only shows 30 clips on the 130 I have in the Folder... some are readable and seems good, some are not and prompt me that message : "failed to get sample temporal offset ama plugin".

My system is OK, I can edit 4k material with AMA (from a Sony FS7) and no problem...

Any other idea ? I am lost...

Thanks

Fabien

Avid MC 2018-8 on PC Intel I7 + 32 Go RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, LaCie 4big Quadra Disc Raid 5, RME Fireface UC audio card + ProTools + Command|8 + Yamaha... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 30 2018 12:00 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 532
    • Points 6,770

Try a conventional import of one of the problem rushes (rather than linking) and see if that works.

It's times like this when I'd be tempted to try researching the problem at a future date and just use Resolve to transcode the rushes to OP Atom DNX files. These can go straight into your Avid Mediafiles/MXF/1 folder. I would also trash the two database files in this folder and let Avid rebuild.

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 30 2018 1:06 PM In reply to

Thank you Bruno, but as I said, I can't do an Import, nothing happens when I clic the button...  I've never seen that...

Thankfully, I know the workaroud and I am transcoding my clips in MXF DNXHD with Sorenson Squeeze, but still... this is a big issue here...  big loss of time as I have 329 clips to transcode... I already have two days late !

Sony PXW-Z280 camcoder plus XAVC-L codec is not really an exotic setup, Avid must support that...

• Fri, Nov 30 2018 1:36 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 532
    • Points 6,770

According to the Avid File Formats document...

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 30 2018 2:11 PM In reply to

Thank you. I was a bit confused with all what is beeing said about the XAVS-S not well supported, but mine is XAVC Long GOP 50 in MXF OP-1A... so it should be linked fine...

• Sat, Dec 1 2018 1:55 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,598
    • Points 60,090

Should link fine. I use the PXW-X70 that also produces XAVC-L 50 MXF OP1A (1080p) material and it links fine in Media Composer with the Nablet 4.5.5 plugin. This doesn't help you but it confirms that the basic plumbing is there. I'm not at my system again until Monday but if you want to provide a short sample of an mxf that doesn't link for you I can try it on my machine Monday if you'd like.

I might have missed the details but what resolution and framerate are your MXF files from that camera?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Dec 2 2018 3:26 PM In reply to

New update. As I said before, all my Content is perfectly mounted and readable in Content Browser, but if I double check with Catalyst Browser, the problem remain the same as with Media Composer : it only shows 32 clips on 133... exactly like Media Compser... So I guess the problem is not on the Avid side, but on the Sony side...

How is it possible that Sony Content Browser shows up all the clips whereas Sony Catalyst Browser don't?!

• Sun, Dec 2 2018 4:08 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:

I might have missed the details but what resolution and framerate are your MXF files from that camera?

Thank you for your input. My files are 1080p @25fps (Iam in France).

BarkinMadd:

if you want to provide a short sample of an mxf that doesn't link for you I can try it on my machine Monday if you'd like.

I appreciate the help and, why not, I'll send you a short mxf file that doesn't link for me. Even better, I wil build you a virtual card with that clip, so you can try to reproduce the problem.

But as I said in my post obove yours, I think the problem is on the Sony side because Content Browser shows up all the clips on my SxS card, whereas Sony Catalyst Browser don't... Media Composer act the same as Catalyst in my case...

• Tue, Dec 4 2018 1:47 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,478
    • Points 44,820
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

FolieStandard:
    How is it possible that Sony Content Browser shows up all the clips whereas Sony Catalyst Browser don't?!
    Sounds like a directory structure issue. If you have the time to check, try copying the entire contents (XDROOT on down) to a hard drive, and then look at it from there.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 1:45 PM In reply to

I have just encountered a similar problem with FS7 Footage that is not recognised by Media Composer Source Browser but opens in Content Browser and DaVinci Resolve 15 with no problems. I have the same problem with A7s footage in Source Browser. It can't see it.

I have updated the Nablet Mac 4-2 plugin and that hasn't helped

I notced somewhere that ther was a work around stripping out the Data track. Any ideas how I can do this in order to link to the material.

Any ideas?

System 1: Macbook Pro Retina2.6Ghz i7 OSX 10.11.6 8gigs RAM Nablet 4.5.5 Media Composer 2018.11 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller