Latest post Fri, Dec 7 2018 2:35 PM by Trensharo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Nov 25 2018 5:46 AM

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 576
    • Points 7,660

NewBlueFX Titler Pro 6 - Where Does the Title Go?

Stupid question, but I ran into a situation where I HAVE to use it because I was doing a little project in 4K. 

So for an opening title I laid filler at the beginning of the timeline (about 30 secs) then a trimmed clip.  I drop titler pro 6 effect on the filler section, make my still title, "File->Save" which appears to have saved a TP project file, then exit.  No title in the bin as I expected.  So now  there is no way to actually trim the title so I can add fade-in / x-fade to the head and tail of the title.  I can't even trim the head or tail of the title.  WTF? 

So then I try "File->Export" to try to get media I can import to work with (set in/out as source clip and trim in the timeline, set xitions...).  But it only allows export to .png which I don't believe will cut it.  I think I need a TIFF with alpha, don't I?  So I tried exporting to video.  The title that was set up as 30 sec duration creates a .mov that is 3 frames long.  Does me no good at all. 

Where the hell did the title media go so I can edit it like s normal peice of media?

Is this the way TP6 is supposed to work?

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 11:30 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,598
    • Points 60,090

Re: NewBlueFX Titler Pro 6 - Where Does the Title Go?

There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube and on New Blue's site showing you the basic workflow. For me, I usually select a portion of filler, right-click and add new title. Titler Pro 6 opens and I either select a preset and tweak or create a title from scratch and then close Titler Pro - you don't have to save anything to a file unless you want to work with the standalone version. You just exit back into Media Composer and the title you created will show in the record monitor (Titler Pro is an effect, it doesn't save title media to a bin the way the old titler in Media Composer did).

You should be able to trim the title to a different length by trimming the filler. Note that Titler Pro has an elastic timeline feature which represents sections of the Titler Pro timeline that can be stretched or contracted without changing the critical timing of keyframes in the title.

I'm not sure why folks here are so critical of Titler Pro - you are not alone in using terms like 'HAVE t use it...' - for me, it's an exceptionally powerful tool. Is it perfect? No - but you can do some very interesting things with it. I have also dabbled in BCC Title Study - the latest in Continuum 2019 has some amazing improvements including a new shader model with materials and deformers - I find it generally harder to use than Titler Pro but that's only because I never really got into Boris RED (BCC Title Studio mimics the Boris RED workflow, more or less).

Anyway, hope my answer helps you a bit...

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Nov 26 2018 12:06 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

wmcole:
    Where the hell did the title media go so I can edit it like s normal peice of media?

If by edit You mean to make changes to the text or similiar, You can park over the title in the timeline, enter effect mode, and edit the title.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Nov 29 2018 2:16 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 576
    • Points 7,660

It appears in the initial outing, something was amiss either in MC or Titler, because after laying the title effect on the filler, I couldn't trim the filler, couldn't create a transition (fade / x-fade) on either end, etc. 

I went back to the project a day or two later, and lo and behold, I could trim, place xitions at the ends of the title-on-filler segment...

No clue why it was troublesome during the creation session.

I haven't had a chance to test to see if this happens again with creation session vs. return session but it is in the to-do list.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Fri, Dec 7 2018 2:35 PM In reply to

• Trensharo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 27 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

I've used Titler Pro in other NLEs and it's been quite buggy; and they take forever to fix bugs even after acknowledging them...  Months, including bugs that are critical (i.e. crash your NLE entirely).  They are also far less responsive to issues from customers who got it as a bundled product - borderline dismissive.

BCC Title Studio has been far more robust, in my experience, and it's also cheaper (can be bought stand-alone for $199).

Title Studio Standalone also renders to QuickTime Animation CODEC, which doesn't work without QuickTime installed (or in NLEs that have dropped support for QT7 and implement only a subset of the CODECs natively).  Found that out the hard way (trying to avoid crashing things while working on a project) :-P

I think the stabilit issues is why many people have harped on Titler Pro.

NewBlue also has a habit of breaking installations of other NewBlue product when you upgrade other products, so it an become a bit of a maintenance hell for users - cause they just throw everything into the same directory structure.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller