Latest post Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:48 AM by ummagumma. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 24 2018 10:48 PM

• ummagumma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 24 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Different color spaces problem

Hi everyone,

I’m using Avid Media Composer on MacBook Pro 2018. I’ve got some problem defining what setup should I use.  I have HD footage, my Avid color space is YCbCr 709. My MacBook display is set to rec.709 gamma 2.4. My work is to be delivered to broadcast station. So far so good. But my external monitor which I’m using to color correct doesn’t have rec.709 color space. It is Benq BL3201PT 32’. I’ve got is set on sRGB - don’t know the gamma value for now (but I expect it to be 2.2).

So I am wondering, how is is all affect final product brightness, since the main difference between the rec.709 and sRGB is gamma value. 

Is there any workflow that I should follow to minimize the difference in this color spaces, but mostly brightness? Also, I can’t afford to change my monitor.

Thanks!

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 4:25 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,517
    • Points 64,020
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Different color spaces problem

Your MacBook is probably the closest you're going to get to "correct" without a calibrator.  The Benq is (was?) pretty good out of the box, but without a calibration device, you're going to have to use your eyes to see how close the 2 monitors match each other.  I'd suggest looking at both the MacBook and the Benq side by side and see if you can adjust the Benq to get it as close as possible the the MacBook display.  Gamma 2.4 vs. 2.2 is going to make the shadows a bit deeper so you'll need to calibrate your brain for that difference.  Also, trust the scopes built into the Color Corrector and use the Safe Color Limiter which should take care of any gamut differences between sRGB and 709 as well as limiting out of bounds levels.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 9:44 AM In reply to

• ummagumma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Thanks for reply. I aleady purchased calibation device so I will use it on benq. My thinking is to calibate the benq to sRGB but 2.4 gamma. But since the gamma curve in rec.709 and sRGB is a little different I don't know if I will be doing myself any good. Maybe it will be better to stick to sRGB 2.2 gamma?

Also, I have Ulrastudio Mini Monitor, and I want to use it as a connection betweeen MacBook and Benq. I use Davinci after editing in Avid so I want my monitoring as acurate as I can get it given my setup limitations. To get things done I need to buy thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter, then thunerbolt 2 to Mini Monitor and then hdmi to Benq. Will it work? I mean will the video signal be affected somehow by the multiple adapters and cables?

Thanks!

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 10:43 AM In reply to

This link has more info on that monitor https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/benq-bl3201pt-32-inch-4k-ultra-hd-monitor,4071-6.html

As you suspect the Gamma is 2.2 so it won't be accurate for HDTV

One issue maybe a LUT box to correct or use Resolve as you can alter the output to the monitor. 

But if your grading monitor isn't calibrated to match REC709 then you are making adjustments based on an inaccurate visual image. Your grade won't look the same on a rec 709 display.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Dec 6 2018 11:48 AM In reply to

• ummagumma
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Unfortunately I get idea of this inaccuracies. But how about the Mini Monitor connection itself. Assuming that I will change the external monitor will the Ultrastudio with adapters provide better video signal than simple thunderbolt connection?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller