Latest post Wed, Dec 5 2018 9:02 AM by nigelad. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 21 2018 12:14 PM

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 520
    • Points 6,025
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Which version did Avid fix Frameflex?

Hi 

We've just discovered that Frameflex is broken in MC 18.4.

There's a thread on the PC side about it here: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/184548.aspx

It's criticial to our workflows next term, working with 2.39:1 and 1.85:1 material from Amiras, and if we have to update all 45 clients, I want to know which version with this fixed is the most stable.

Thanks

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Nov 21 2018 3:18 PM In reply to

Re: Which version did Avid fix Frameflex?

Marianna's response at the end of that thread was that it was fixed in 2018.5.1 and higher.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Nov 23 2018 12:48 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 520
    • Points 6,025
      Avid Certified User

Yes that was on the PC forum. It would be great to get confirmation from a mac user.

I'm puzzled nobody even noticed it here.

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 28 2018 2:45 PM In reply to

We've just taken a project off frameflex source settings and achieved the correct aspect ratio using the mask margins setting in the project 'Format' tab then enabling 'Target Mask' in the source / record composer windows. Simpler to set up, less error prone, tidier timeline and most inportantly, better for multi layer Vfx, particularly any split screens. My last project was 1:239 shot flat but masked using Frameflex, we had regular glitches with slates unmasking themselves or going to 'stretched' rather then 'letterbox' reformat. Assuming your 1:2.39 material is shot flat rather than anamorphic, I'd strongly recommend using mask margins over frameflex.

• Fri, Nov 30 2018 12:46 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 520
    • Points 6,025
      Avid Certified User

Thanks!

Our scope is shot as 3200 x 1800 on Amira, using 2.39:1 frame guides.

Mask Margins as you describe works in an HD project fine, but not when I change the project format to DCI 2K Scope to conform the edit. Then I need to use Frameflex to set the frame aspect ratio to 2.39:1, giving me a centre crop that matches the frame guides on set. Which works fine - it's the Frameflex letterboxing which is broken. 

I output DCI 2K Scope movs. and create DCPS from these.

Incidentally, any idea why 2.39:1 is not a preset in frameflex frame aspect ratio? I see 2.33, 2.35, 2.37. 2.40 but no 2.39:1.Yet it's there in Mask Margins.

Also, why is 'stretched' the default Reformatting setting in Frameflex, import and link settings?

Surely letterbox/pillarbox should be the norm.....

Nigel

Filed under:
  • Fri, Nov 30 2018 1:49 PM In reply to

I can't speak to the lack of a 2.39:1 frame aspect ratio, but the default setting for Reformatting is selected in Link Settings > Link Options > Properties of New Clips.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Dec 5 2018 9:02 AM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 520
    • Points 6,025
      Avid Certified User

Thanks Kevin. I've changed it there and also in import settings. Just wondered why it's not set to letterbox/pilarbox when you create a new user. Wondered why anybody would want to stretch footage most of the time....

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller