Latest post Wed, Nov 28 2018 5:07 PM by derekg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 19 2018 7:20 PM

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 509
    • Points 6,530

AAF timeline into resolve

Hey I am trying to send a aaf timeline into resolve from Avid media composer. The footage in MC is AMA linked. When imported in Resolve the media is offline and there is a message saying there is a mismatch between the specific targeted timecode and the located timecode. Any idea of what may be causing this? Is it the canon folder structure at it has multiple folders in it. 

Avid MC 8.8

Resolve 12.5

Canon c100 folder structure

• Mon, Nov 19 2018 8:57 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 222
    • Points 2,350

Re: AAF timeline into resolve

Try importing a used clip directly into resolve and compare the timecode at a known point with the timecode in Avid , to be sure they are the same.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2018 12:36 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,545
    • Points 45,565
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Here's a link to round tripping to resolve which may help.

http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-roundtrip-davinci-resolve-to-avid-media-composer-tutorial/

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Tue, Nov 20 2018 7:27 PM In reply to

• derekg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 43
    • Points 580

I see it's C100 footage. I've had the same problem and it's a Resolve rather than Avid problem. Resolve has problems with AVC timecodes. It doesn't read spanned files correctly (ie any file over 11mins) and then all the other codes on that card are incorrect. I've even had a problem when recording a file on one day and then continuing on the card a couple of days later resulted in all the later clips having wrong timecodes. You can easily check by comparing the timecodes in the Resolve Media Pool clips with the same clips in Avid. I've always found that Avid reads everything correctly, even checking by comparing timecodes on the card in the camera.

I've actually given up trying to get Resolve to relink to C100 camera files and just transcode my finished Avid timeline and work on the transcoded files in Resolve.

Derek Goodall

Goodwood Productions, North Hollywood CA

HP z420 3.6 Xeon quad core, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660, BM Intensity 4k, Win 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 28 2018 11:24 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 509
    • Points 6,530

derekg:

I see it's C100 footage. I've had the same problem and it's a Resolve rather than Avid problem. Resolve has problems with AVC timecodes. It doesn't read spanned files correctly (ie any file over 11mins) and then all the other codes on that card are incorrect. I've even had a problem when recording a file on one day and then continuing on the card a couple of days later resulted in all the later clips having wrong timecodes. You can easily check by comparing the timecodes in the Resolve Media Pool clips with the same clips in Avid. I've always found that Avid reads everything correctly, even checking by comparing timecodes on the card in the camera.

I've actually given up trying to get Resolve to relink to C100 camera files and just transcode my finished Avid timeline and work on the transcoded files in Resolve.

Derek Goodall

Goodwood Productions, North Hollywood CA

Hmmm interesting. Im going to try the workflow mentioned above and if that doesn't work then I will look into transcoding.

• Wed, Nov 28 2018 12:03 PM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 509
    • Points 6,530

Derek you are right. Once I transcoded the footage it worked flawlessy.

• Wed, Nov 28 2018 5:07 PM In reply to

• derekg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 43
    • Points 580

Glad that worked for you. Unfortunately Blackmagic dont seem to regard AVC as a format they need to bother about, particularly regarding timecode.

HP z420 3.6 Xeon quad core, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660, BM Intensity 4k, Win 10 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller