Latest post Sun, Dec 2 2018 7:18 PM by Matthew Clulow. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 7:09 PM

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Can I Buy Hard Copy of MC Software

I am perpetual license holder of MC but sometimes travel away from internet connections--or at least quick/easy access to internet.  If something happens where I am editing but need to reload MC but can't download, I would like a hard copy (CD/DVD) of MC software to use to reload.  Can I buy a hard copy of MC (as in old days when you got CD of software)?  Can't reach Avid and my reseller is not knowledgeable to get answer.

I would prefer to buy hard copy MC (version 2018.9) but since I do have licensed version on laptop is there another way I can bring a copy with me in case I have to reload MC software without being able to reach internet to download?  I would assume there are ways Avid could work with me to be sure I am only person able to access hard copy software--i.e. it would "know" software is being loaded on my laptop only.

Thanks,

Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 7:33 PM In reply to

Re: Can I Buy Hard Copy of MC Software

I don't think you can, but you could always burn the download of 2018.9 to a DVD, or copy it to a USB drive or stick.

denniscasey:
    I would assume there are ways Avid could work with me to be sure I am only person able to access hard copy software--i.e. it would "know" software is being loaded on my laptop only.

The license stuff is handled by Avid Application Manager. You can install the MC software on as many systems as you like; it can only be activated on as many systems as you have licenses for.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 7:37 PM In reply to

Indeed - just download and put it on whatever media works for you - DVD, USB, or even just keep a copy of the current installer on your laptop's hard drive.  Remember, the download has nothing to do with being attached to a user.  It's the exact same file as the trial version.  The licensing happens separately - in the Application Manager, or with a dongle.  Therefore, no need to ensure that you're the only person who can use the downloaded file.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:03 PM In reply to

The question here is Why.

cj

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 5.5.3. PC. WINDOWS 7, SP1. 64BIT OPERATING SYSTEM. QUICK TIME VERSION 7.6.9. [view my complete system specs]

AVID USERS ECUADOR                                  

christianjhonsoon@hotmail.com

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:48 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,732
    • Points 19,070
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Dennis,

I don't think we do, I don't see it anywhere, The installer is almost over 2 GB, if I were you, why not download and store the files in your laptop or flash drive.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 9:15 PM In reply to

• denniscasey
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • St. Paul, Minnesota
    • Posts 665
    • Points 8,475

Thanks to all for logical suggestions--I got locked up on buying hard copy. The other reason I had for hard copy was hard drive crash in which case rebuilding system and using hard copy to reload MC probably would be least of my problems anyhow. 

Off topic, but any suggestions for software that I can use to clone my HDD to backup HDD to help restore all my software, OS, etc in event off HDD crash--thought of starting over from scratch to download software (some of which is probably legacy by now) is daunting.  I do backup files and all that, but that backup does not save software and OS.

Regards, Dennis

MC6.5.2 SYSTEM: Asus P6X58D Premium; Intel i7-930 2.8 Ghz; PNY FX1800 GPU;500 GB RAID 1 System Drives; 1 TB RAID 0 Media Drives; 12 GB triple channel RAM;... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 2 2018 7:18 PM In reply to

• Matthew Clulow
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 12 2018
    • North of Toronto Ontario
    • Posts 21
    • Points 195

Im still running an older version 4.08 and the hardrive has crashed in this old machine, a few times. While I own the disks for rebuild, I'm running raid 1. Each time the drive dies I pop in a new drive and it rebuilds itself off the raid drive.

Windows 10 Pro Version: 1709 OS Build 16299.192INtel Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @3.10Ghz 310 GHz8GB Ram - 7.88 usable64 bit x64 based processorDell Optiplex... [view my complete system specs]

Matthew Clulow

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller