Latest post Fri, Nov 16 2018 3:32 PM by Kevin Klimek. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:38 AM

• chrisrey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 3 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

P2 workflow

Hello

I'm preparing an editing project on Avid Media Composer Ultimate's latest version (2018.10)

The movie has been shot with Panasonic P2 cameras, in AVC-Intra 100 (1080i50). So I have an external hard drive with 7 fodlers (each day of shooting), inside each folder can be one or two or three subforlder (each P2 card).

Now I'm trying to find the most efficient workflow, to avoid huma interaction dureing the ingest process.

I'v already downloaded and installed the Panasonic P2 plug-in version 4.9.0.1 from here : https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/p2/avidnle_ps/index.html

I've set up my project with media reation on a fast local RAID drive.

So far my idea is :

- create a bin per day (or per card)

- right-click inside the bin > Media browser

- browse to a card folder, toggle the volume/folder button on top of the Source Browser, wait a long time that the plug-in detects the kind of media

- select all clips and choose "Link", as "Import" won't work on volumes

- Once linkd in the bin, right clic > Consolidate on my internal faster RAID.

Problems are :

- I have to wait for Media detection in the File Browser until I can linnk the clips

- I can't import them, so I have to link them then consolidate. that creates double amount of master clips, the consolidated one are renamed ".new.01"

Can somebody tell me :

- how to import several P2 cards at once (preferably feeping the source drive folder structure), without having to do it folder by folder, and without having to wait for media detection in the Source Browser

- how to directly import without having to link then consolidate

Thanks

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 9:18 AM In reply to

• fsm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,975

Re: P2 workflow

my suggestion: link your files via sourcebrowser. one day per bin. then consolidate(!) to your raid.

the source browser scans the folders so you have to wait to complete the scan. Besides, on Windows system you can drop your folder pressing ALT in the bin, this AMA link the files and should work with several cards in a folder.

Consolidate copies your files 1:1 to your prefered harddrive. now you have your clips twice in your bin, the first your AMA originals on your "delivering" drive, the second on your editing raid. You can decide them by the icon or the Path.

If you dont like the .new extension mark the "delete masterclips" in consolidate window. Move the AMA linked files to a different bin or delete the ama links, this will delete only your ama links not the files on your delivering drive.

Now you can edit with your consolidated files and keep the originals safe on your delivering drive as data backup.

Or Copy via finder your material to your raid volume, link them and edit with the AMA linked files.

in my opinion import is one the biggest mistakes during the ingest of camera raw files. if you have a correct ama plugin and your codec is native avid supported use ama link and consolidate. or the oldschool p2 link style.

MC 2018.5 & SYM / BM Monitor4K / Windows 10 prof. 64 bit / i7 3930k / Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 9:48 AM In reply to

• chrisrey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thanks for your feedback

I went with a link from Source Browser (I first have to wait for the plug-in to detect the media in each and every folder of P2 card volume, this will make me a coffee addict, shame ;-))

Then I consolidate in background task, then after the consolidate is done I delete from bin the previously linked masters clips.

Regarding the naming issue (the .new" at the end of the consolidated clip), I can't find a way to delete the master clip in the Consolidate window like you suggested. The tickbox is grayed out in Consolidate mode, I'm afraid it's only effective in Transcode mode. Well, my editor will have to go with the ".new" clips, that will do !

I fully agreee with you : if I can avoid any transcode, I'll avoid it !

Lucky for me, the AVC Intra-100 is one of the supported codecs in Avid Media Composer !

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 12:04 PM In reply to

• fsm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 161
    • Points 1,975

added a screenshot, the marked option will delete the ama links and you'll get consolidated clips without .new

MC 2018.5 & SYM / BM Monitor4K / Windows 10 prof. 64 bit / i7 3930k / Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 16 2018 12:39 PM In reply to

• chrisrey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Yes, I saw the tickbox in the Consolidate window, but in my case it's dark grey and "untickable". Maybe because my linked Master Clips rely on a third-party plug-in (Panasonic P2 MVP_MSP), or maybe because some are spanned clips, I don't know...

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 3:32 PM In reply to

Yes, I don't believe you can delete P2 media on ingesting...nor should you want to.

The .new extension shouldn't cause any issues going forward. Why are you looking to avoid that?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller