Latest post Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:15 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 15 2018 5:15 PM

New laptop thoughts for 2019 going forwards...

I'm currently in the process of looking in to replacing my aging desktop HP Z workstation with a mobile solution.  What are people using currently to run MC and are you happy with it? 

So far I've been looking only at the qualified CPUs on the Avid list. All specs are roughly similar and I'm gunning for something as close to this as I can get:

Intel i7 6 core 2.6GHz or higher (8th gen)
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    512GB PCIe SSD
    4k/UHD IPS panel
    Quadro P2000 4GB (for PC)
    Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB (for MBP)

The 4 main contenders are:

Lenovo Thinkpad P52 - £2683.99
    Dell Precision 5530 - £3350.36
    HP ZBook G5 - waiting to hear back from sales (WTF HP?!)
    MacBook Pro 2018 - £3374.00

In terms of price the clear winner is the Thinkpad.  It is also the only one that offers a pure gigabit ethernet connection and doesn't force me to buy a seperate adapter for connecting to a Nexis.  They all offer some sort of biometric security option and all have a 4k screen except the MBP.

I'm still interested in the HP but their website is a total clusterf***.  I am forced to begin a long and tedious email thread with a support representative whilst they try to discern my needs instead of simply placing a configurator on their website.  I'm currently waiting to get quotes back from them. It's a miracle they sell any machines at all with this setup!

If the MBP was about £600 cheaper I'd probably go with that in order to get access to ProRes but it is just so excessively expensive for what it is that I just don't think I can justify spending nearly £700 more for a machine that is not as powerful or well spec'd as the PC equivalents.  

What are others experiences? Is anyone else in the same boat and looking to upgrade in the near future? Is there anything else I should be taking in to account?

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 2018.9.0 Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller