Latest post Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:48 PM by markss. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 12 2018 5:58 PM

• markss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 12 2018
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Suggestions on Workflow-Best Practices

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

We just purchased NEXIS Pro 40TB.  We are a small .edu production unit. 2 Editors/3 Workstations.

We will be connecting 3 27inch Thunderbolt 3 iMac Workstations. Currently shooting HD on P2 Cards and SD Cards and delivering to web in HD.  No demand for delivery in anything beyond HD to Web at the moment...although our next camera will be 4K.  Our main ingest for "live to tape" studio ingest will be via Avid Artist | DNxIV.  

The ingest workstation will have an out to a client monitor via the  Avid Artist | DNxIV, and the plan  for our other workstations is to get to client monitor via AJA T-TAP.

I'm considering either Caldigit T3 Docking Station or OWC THunderbolt 3 dock for each workstation as expansion to  get us out to 2nd 27inch displays and additional T3/USB3 peripherals. 

My questions to those of you working in similar environments are:

1. Are you using eithor of these Docks?

2. Do you still use desktop T3 "scratch pad" storage, and if so, what external drives do you recommend?

3. Beyond the workstation set-up, I'm curious about best practices regarding workflow and am willing to provide additional information if anyone is willing to provide some input. 

I've been working with AVIDs on Macs since the early 90's and this is my first foray into a shared media environment, so I have a feeling I will be a frequent visitor here.  I've always found the forums here to be immensely helpful and with that being said, I greatly appreciate any and all input/suggestions.

Cheers!

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Helvetica}

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Helvetica}

• Tue, Nov 13 2018 11:47 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 217
    • Points 2,285

Re: Suggestions on Workflow-Best Practices

I’m using the caldigit T2 with a thunderbolt 3 imac out to stardom Sata drives and it seems to work ok, except one of my raid drives falls off after a while, (I have to page the drive periodically to keep it mounted), this drive was previously ok on an Akitio dock.

the caldigit is a well built device and I appreciate the extra Ethernet port 

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 14 2018 9:35 AM In reply to

Worth noting the AJA T-Taps (nice units) are Thunderbolt 2 so if you have Thunderbolt 3 you will need Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapters and they aren't cheap!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:45 PM In reply to

• markss
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

The T-TAPS with T3-T2 adapters  are part of the install package from the reseller.

• Wed, Nov 14 2018 6:48 PM In reply to

• markss
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Just to be clear....Are you using the Sata Drives as external storage apart from NEXIS? 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller