Latest post Thu, Nov 8 2018 10:33 AM by Pol. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 8 2018 1:04 AM

Plan Options?

Can anyone enlighten me about the difference in renewal options.

I have two licences of Media Composer with Symphony option and they are due for renewal.

In 'my account' it has the following options:

Media Composer | Software with Symphony Option  USD 398.00/yr (1-Year Update & Support Plan) (Which is what I have)

The other option it offers me is Media Composer | Ultimate USD 299.00/yr (Crossgrade to 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront)

Why would the option I have cost $100 more than Ultimate which has Symphony and more..script sync etc.

Am I missing something here. Please help

I've tried to ring support Nah that doesnt work. Ive reached out locally to Avid resellers..nothing yet..

2013 MacPro 10.12.3 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, iMac 27 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, Anyone want to buy a useless Nitris DX then! [view my complete system specs]

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 3:12 AM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 6 2009
    • Posts 75
    • Points 835
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Re: Plan Options?

Gary C.J.Schweikert:

Media Composer | Software with Symphony Option  USD 398.00/yr (1-Year Update & Support Plan) (Which is what I have)

The other option it offers me is Media Composer | Ultimate USD 299.00/yr (Crossgrade to 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront)

If  you have a perpetual license,  the software is still valid after it expires but can no longer be upgraded and does not have support.    The $398 allows you update the software and maintain support for another year. At that point you still have the license, but won't be able to update it.  

If you have a subscription plan,  your license will be voided when it expires.  For $299 you can renuew the subscriptions for a year. This means you will being paying $299 per year for Media Composer, updates and service. 

MacBook Pro Retina 16 gig ram, Mac Pro 12 core, 16 gig Ram. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:00 AM In reply to

Gary C.J.Schweikert:

This is the one you do NOT need, since you already own Symphony. This option is actually a promo, where someone with Media Composer can renew annual support while ADDING the Symphony option for 99 USD. Since you already own the option, no need to do this.

This option would CONVERT your current perpetual license(s) to subscription (rental) license(s). Beware that you would get a one-time discount when you convert your license, while any subsequent years will be USD 499.

There should be another option shown in your account, which is Media Composer | Software for USD 299/yr. This would normally be the one someone in your position would choose, if they want to keep things as they are.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:03 AM In reply to

Dennis :
    $299
    Dennis, you are quoting wrong numbers here.

Annual renewal for perpetual licenses: 299/yr (398 this year if you don't already have the Symphony option and would like to add it)

MC Ultimate (rental): 499/yr (299 for the first year if you convert from a perpetual license)

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:24 AM In reply to

Hi Job, Thanks for that.

So the option that is shown here, which is what is shown when I open my account is not what I need. You're saying that I dont have to pay for the option with Symphony. Because I have it already, it's not an annual payment? Is that right? Thanks Gary

2013 MacPro 10.12.3 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, iMac 27 MC 8.8.0 + Symphony, Anyone want to buy a useless Nitris DX then! [view my complete system specs]

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:49 AM In reply to

Yes, you need the last item on this list. You don't need to pay for the SY option, you already own that, and there is no annual renewal fee for that option.

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 10:32 AM In reply to

Thank you for your help, I now think I understand how it works. I think Ive been paying for the symphony option ever year not knowing that I didnt have to.

Big Hat

(All Hat, No Cattle)
    Mac Pro 2013

• Thu, Nov 8 2018 10:33 AM In reply to

• Pol
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Belgium
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,585

Is 299 for the crossgrade correct?

In the FAQ's it's 399 for the first year and 499 the next year.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller