Latest post Wed, Nov 7 2018 11:58 AM by oze. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 6 2018 8:15 AM

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 573
    • Points 6,775

What's the value of a perpetual license these days . . ?

In these days of subscription pricing, what's the point?

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 6 2018 8:41 AM In reply to

Re: What's the value of a perpetual license these days . . ?

That you can keep it, and use it forever. That it allows those who prefer it to use dongles.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 6 2018 8:42 AM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 366
    • Points 3,995

If you stop paying the subscription the program stops working. Even if you no longer pay the annual fee a perpetual licence it keeps working.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 7 2018 11:58 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 573
    • Points 6,775

I've been an MC user since 1992 and I have a perpetual dongle; but to be honest, I find myself using Premier Pro and Resolve more and more these days and really liking them. That's not to say I don't like MC anymore, it's just that as a freelance editor/colourist it helps to have choices and an a ability to use different NLE's on different kinds of jobs, and there's a lot of things about PP that make it faster and easier, especially as a single user that never operates in shared environment. The gap has closed significantly and in fact opened up in favour of PP in many areas, especially in GRFX integration with AE. Offering old versions of New Blue is not a real solution. I am running a top spec 2017 iMac and MC 2018.10 via a BMD UltraStudio is as slow as molasses and timeline editing is a real pain, where as Premier it's incredibly fast and responsive and it crashes far less often.

I used to pay for two MC licenses (one software), now I only have the dongle and I have thought about whether I should keep paying the $299 (NZ$450) fee on top of my Adobe subscription. I will probably pay it this year, but if I end up using MC less and less, I may not next year. I get that it's only a 1/2 day or so of my time - but it's something (if we're honest) we all think about in these days where every software company is moving to a subscription model. There's a limit to how many subscription $$ that I want to commit to each month.

It's a tough position to be in for someone who built an editorial career and a business on Avid, but these times they are a changin', and I think MC is going to need a serious overhaul and catchup if it's going to stay as the pro's choice. I really do hope that the product can improve and survive.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller