Latest post Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:14 PM by Marianna. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:23 AM

Crashes in trim mode when I have caps lock on

I've been getting very frequent freezes when doing things in trim mode, where suddenly I get the rainbow wheel in the middle of a trim, and nothing happens no matter how long I wait, forcing me to crash out. I finally figured out that the problem goes away when I don't have caps lock on, but unfortunately I really rely on being able to audio scrub, and I keep turning it on by mistake and getting the stupid crash.

Has anyone else experienced this and figured out a solution?

I'm on Media Composer 2018.10.0, on a 2014 Macbook Pro, OSX 10.13.6, 2.8 ghz Intel Core i7, 16gb memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.

• Mon, Nov 5 2018 4:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Crashes in trim mode when I have caps lock on

Kevin,

We are working on this one as jim Blokland reported it. I did create a case for you on this as it gets more visibility in engienering when there are more cases on the same issue.

Case # 03585544

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 5 2018 5:03 PM In reply to

Having the exact same problem with the current version of Avid MC. Everytime I trim and crash I look down and I've got Caps Lock on...everytime.

Media Composer 2018.10, Mac Pro 5.1 2012 2.4 ghz, 64 GB ram, OSX 10.12.6, dual Nvidia 980ti 6GB gpu

• Mon, Nov 5 2018 5:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

threedogsonesnake:

Having the exact same problem with the current version of Avid MC. Everytime I trim and crash I look down and I've got Caps Lock on...everytime.

Media Composer 2018.10, Mac Pro 5.1 2012 2.4 ghz, 64 GB ram, OSX 10.12.6, dual Nvidia 980ti 6GB gpu

Aaron,

I created a case so you are contacted by support....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Nov 5 2018 7:55 PM In reply to

• Nils S
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 15 2018
    • Posts 8
    • Points 140

Hi Marianna,

if support has a magic sauce (like, a hotfix?), could you please add me to the list?
    I've been hit by this as well :-/

Thanks Yes
    Nils

Retina iMac Late 2014, i7 & 32GB, macOS 10.14.0, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 7 2018 12:28 AM In reply to

I tried uninstalling the Blackmagic software that I have to use my Ultrastudio Mini Monitor, and so far have not had any crashes. Strange, though, since I've had this installed since 2015. And because I need to software to monitor video, I still need to figure out a solution.

• Wed, Nov 7 2018 7:49 PM In reply to

Well, since uninstalling Blackmagic I was doing pretty good, but just now got the same crash in trim mode. So it's not conclusive.

• Wed, Nov 7 2018 8:45 PM In reply to

I can safely say that the problem is absolutely tied to caps lock being on, however.

• Tue, Nov 13 2018 1:45 AM In reply to

• Laurent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2018
    • Montreal
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I have the exact same problem. I'm only able to reproduce the bug by having caps lock on, otherwise I don't.

It's very frustrating, because even though my autosaves are set to 5min, I can lost up to 15min of works like if the autosave didn't work properly... but that's another case...

MC 2018.10, Mac Pro 6,1 (6-Core, 64GB, D500) on macOS 10.13.6 Blackmagic UltraStudio mini monitor for playback [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 13 2018 2:58 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Nils S:

Hi Marianna,

if support has a magic sauce (like, a hotfix?), could you please add me to the list?
    I've been hit by this as well :-/

Thanks Yes
    Nils

Nils

I have a case created for you...  # 03591441 and support will keep you in the loop.  MCCET-2722 is the bug and it is being worked on currently.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 13 2018 2:59 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

pretzelcuatl:

I tried uninstalling the Blackmagic software that I have to use my Ultrastudio Mini Monitor, and so far have not had any crashes. Strange, though, since I've had this installed since 2015. And because I need to software to monitor video, I still need to figure out a solution.

Kevin....

It is a bug MCCET-2722 and there is a case for you already started....   03585544

Engineering is working on it.

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:01 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 23 2014
    • Cologne
    • Posts 34
    • Points 475

This seems to be a Software-Bug in 2018.10 (Mac and Windows) with and without any Breakoutbox.

It is absolutely reproducable. Just make a Cut in any material. It even can be offline-material! Then trim forward-backward. Play arround with the Trim-function. So far as good. Do not deactivate the Trim-function. Now activate the audio-scrubb by the caps lok key and now play arround with the trim-function. The Trim beginns to slide very slow the audio get lost (even if you leave the Trim-function the audio is lost probaply the MC-mixer-service stopped until restart the application). When the trimm hangs - Avid has crashed. If not it will crash some time later. It can crash with or without any error message, spontanously. See the following picture:
    LINK Our Cutter deactivate the Breakoutbox in the hope to cut without any crash, but it crashs too. So who needs it have to downgrade to an earlier MC.
    Z840, Win7Pro, 32GB RAM DDR4, NVIDIA Quadra K4200, Dual Intel Xenon E5 - 2650v3 2.3 2133 10Core / Macbook Pro Retina, MAC OS 10.10.5, 2,8 GHz Intel Core... [view my complete system specs]

Thomas Poerschke, Editor & Colorist

ColorGrading.TV @ MMC Studios Köln, Am Coloneum 1, 50829 Cologne, Germany
    web: www.colorgrading.tv

• Fri, Nov 16 2018 10:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,896
    • Points 214,175
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes this is a confirmed bug and the engineers are still working on it.  still not fixed yet in the build of software.

MCCET-2722

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller