Latest post Fri, Nov 9 2018 7:50 AM by johny james. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 2:37 PM

• KHerring
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 17 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Avid MC 8.9 changes clip length in sequence when relinking

Having a very strange issue that has been causing me grief during our uprez.

I take my editor's offline finished sequence, mix it down for a reference layer. Decompose all clips and overcut the video reference on the top layer. Then I relink to the online drive, which already has some high resolution media. Many different frame rates on this show, but lots of media relinks without issue.

Then I look at my timeline. After the relink, many clips have been slipped. My video reference is one frame off, then farther down it's two frames off. Nothing wrong with the video ref- my clips have physically moved.

Here is an example: https://imgur.com/a/fNU44Vs

Am I doing something wrong? Are the mixed rates messing with my timeline? I've never seen this before, and it seems like a huge problem. Yes, I can (and will) adjust the clip timing to match the original timeline, but a relink shouldn't be altering clip placement.

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 10:48 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,271
    • Points 39,695

Re: Avid MC 8.9 changes clip length in sequence when relinking

Just wondering why you are Decomposing?  And maybe this is just mixing up terms.  Exactly what buttons are you pushing when you "decompose"?

This relates to how the low res offline clips were made in the first place.  So can you go into some detail about that?  Include the camera source as well.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Nov 3 2018 11:51 PM In reply to

• KHerring
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 17 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I find decomposing to be more reliable when it comes to prepping for online. If you don't go through the decompose steps, Avid will be a little fickle with relinking. Sometimes it won't relink to high resolution clips when you are already linked to low resolution, unless you unmount the offline drives. You spend a long time relinking to online footage and then accidentally mount an offline drive, sometimes Avid will link back to that offline media. This is just what I have personally experienced, and I find the decompose process to work for me the best, since I can't be unmounting and re-mounting partitions all the time. It's just the nature of our quick turnaround gigs- I have to do a lot of work in an incredibly short amount of time.

>Exactly what buttons are you pushing when you "decompose"?

Right-click on sequence, "Decompose"

>This relates to how the low res offline clips were made in the first place

After a little more troubleshooting, it seems the specific troublesome clips are downloaded Getty .mov files that are 1080p 30fps. To be clear, I mean 30 fps and not 29.97. I have brought everything in at it's source frame rate to make relinking easier. All media has been created by AMA linking and then transcoding, and always transcoding to the lowest DNX available in whatever frame rate the source file is. The 30 fps Getty files were literally shrinking in the timeline- all other frame rates were fine.

Thank you-

• Sun, Nov 4 2018 3:26 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,271
    • Points 39,695

Interesting.  Will check out decompose in that situation.  I quit using Decompose when AMA became normal.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Nov 9 2018 7:50 AM In reply to

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller