Latest post Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:36 PM by BobRusso. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 31 2018 10:16 AM

• Pieter Hornix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 24 2012
    • Oscar Romero Studios and others
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

Hmm [^o)] Locking archive bins and the 'Save as' problem...

If the mediamanager of a Nexis system locks a Bin because it have archived material then the other Nexis clients who want to use clips from that Bin will get the annoying 'Do you want to save as.." every few minutes.

How do I stop this ?  I simply do not want them to change or write to that locked Bin.

Avid Nexis / ISIS sets Range of Avids in the company and worldwide. [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Oct 31 2018 2:05 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,234
    • Points 27,615
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Locking archive bins and the 'Save as' problem...

How exactly are you locking a bin? If a project is on a NEXIS Workspace, the first MC seat will lock the bin by creating the .lck file so other MC seats can't modify the bin.

The lock will be released if the bin is closed or the green lock is control/clicked to release the lock changing the lock to blue - lock available. This can be clicked to take the lock. 

There's an option in the Media Composer Bin Setting > Skip prompts to save locked bins on Auto-Save that will not prompt for auto-saves. If the bin is "dirty" in that any clip has been changed - I.E. adding a mark-in - MC will always prompt to save the bin when closing it, there's no way to ensure that an editor hasn't accidently saved something to a bin.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:17 PM In reply to

• Pieter Hornix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

Thank you Bob !

Maybe I am trying to do something you simply cannot do with Nexis and Media Composer.

The mediamanager like you said creates a Bin with the original footage.

We want the editors to use the clips from that Bin but not change or delete anyhting there. But if they use anything from that bin i.e. put a mark-in/out to get it in their timeline then they have made the Bin 'dirty' and Avid will always prompt them to either 'Save as'  or cancel. 

So if the mediamanager locks the bin permanently I have this permanent 'Save as' problem at the editors  - and - if the mediamanager does not lock the Bin then users can rename, move, delete the original media.

I am just wondering that with so many ISIS/NEXIS users somebody must have found a clever way to handle this ?

Thanks you for your quick reply !

Avid Nexis / ISIS sets Range of Avids in the company and worldwide. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 31 2018 4:51 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,234
    • Points 27,615
    • Avid Employee

How is the bin being locked? If the bin is opened by one Media Composer, all the rest will have read-only to the bin. The option to not prompt for auto-saves will suppress all save-as dialogs in this scenario. There will be one prompt when the bin is closed.

My suggestion is to put the project on a bin that the editors only have read access to. They will be able open the bin, use clips and won't be able to modify the bin. With the above option selected, the editors won't be prompted for save-as during autosaves.

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 12:07 AM In reply to

• Pieter Hornix
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 16
    • Points 190

I will try that - so far I had normal Bin logic. The readonly option you mean I asume is the mediamanager setting the bin to locked manually in the File menu?   That will make it permanent locked and readonly for the users as per Avid logic.

There is no other read-only option ? or did I misunderstood your reply above ?

Turning the auto-save of for the editors will stop the annoying "You can't save here but Save as'  message from appearing every few minutes, nut will also kill the editors security for other bins. So is not favourable also.

Pieter

• Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:36 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,234
    • Points 27,615
    • Avid Employee

A user can have Read, Read/Write and no access to each workspaces. A common workflow is to have a workspace based on elements for a series that is read only for editors. For example, a workspace with all the music and/or graphics elements for the series; store the project with the bins for the music/gfx on that workspace and only allow for read access to this workspace.

Editors can navigate to that workspace, open the bin and use the clips. They will not be able to delete or modify the bins. The option to skip auto-save prompts is only for locked bins. Bins that aren't locked will still save automatically. I personally don't see any reason that this shouldn't be on by default.  

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller