Latest post Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:56 AM by camoscato. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 25 2018 6:31 AM

Installation error - missing files

Greetings all

Since 2018.9 I've been getting odd missing file errors when installing new versions of Media Composer. I never had this with previous installs. I've tried different applications to unzip the installer file downloaded from Avid, but I get the same error.

Here's the odd thing - if I just ignore the error messages and continue with the installation, Media Composer works fine! Even the audio effects mentioned in the error messages work. It seems to looking for missing .png file initially and then the entire fx file upon configuration the first time I launch MC. 

Any ideas?

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 25 2018 8:03 AM In reply to

Re: Installation error - missing files

The file path depth for installation is too long.  I take it the installer is on a network drive? Move the Install folder to your local drive you are installing on.  I did ask this to be resolved a few years back but nothing yet.

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12 x 16 Z400/420/440 PC's on W7 x64. 2 x Mac, 4 x PT 12.8.1 HDX, S6 all on PCs. ISIS 5000 X 2. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 25 2018 8:25 AM In reply to

Thanks for your reply!

The installation actually ran from my laptop's local drive, but your assessment of the file name length makes perfect sense.

I've been running 2018.10 since last night and so far no issues, even with all the error messages I got during installation. So unless my system starts breaking down I'll just live with it for the time being.

So Avid, I'm adding my voice to ShadenFreude's - please look into this? Thanks

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 25 2018 12:21 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,627
    • Points 60,455

Avid's position for years is to run the installer from a top level folder. I would suggest uninstalling MC and repeating the install from a short folder path. Otherwise if you have any issues in the future you may wonder if the faulty installation is to blame. 

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Oct 25 2018 1:31 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Also to add to BarkinMadd's suggestions........

This can occur to if the downloaded installer .zip file didnt extract all the files contained in it properly. The installer .zip file should not be placed in a folder that causes the name to exceed the Windows limit of 260 characters.

Click Ignore through all the errors and allow the installaiton to complete
    Move the installer .zip file to the root level of your C drive and extract it there
    Run the installer and choose to perform a repair install

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 25 2018 6:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,219
    • Points 218,265
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Corne Scheepers:

Thanks for your reply!

The installation actually ran from my laptop's local drive, but your assessment of the file name length makes perfect sense.

I've been running 2018.10 since last night and so far no issues, even with all the error messages I got during installation. So unless my system starts breaking down I'll just live with it for the time being.

So Avid, I'm adding my voice to ShadenFreude's - please look into this? Thanks

Windows has a 260 character length limit Corne - its not Avid its Microsoft

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Oct 25 2018 6:46 PM In reply to

Okay, I won't argue with that. But still wonder if I'm running a fully installed 2018.10 or if I'm missing a few pieces. I'm guessing I'm fine because I edited the whole day without any issues. If the doors and the steering wheel weren't bolted on properly I suppose Media Composer wouldn't have allowed me to take this car out of the garage this morning when I launched application..?

I'll run the installer from a drive root sometime and see if that makes a difference

• Thu, Oct 25 2018 6:48 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:

Avid's position for years is to run the installer from a top level folder. I would suggest uninstalling MC and repeating the install from a short folder path. Otherwise if you have any issues in the future you may wonder if the faulty installation is to blame. 

Thanks I'll try that

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:14 AM In reply to

Just a note that this issue has been resolved. I ran the installer from C: as advised and did not receive any errors again.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Happy editing

• Mon, Oct 29 2018 8:56 AM In reply to

Glad you solved it, and thanks for posting the solution.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller