Latest post Mon, Oct 22 2018 3:21 AM by videoword. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 19 2018 10:19 PM

• videoword
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 21 2011
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

AMA Linked Prores 444 Export Issues

I'm doing same as source exports of AMA linked sequences with effects for online.

I've run about a million tests using MediaInfo as my double-check.

If I export an AMA linked sequence Same as Source without any effects, it'll render out at Prores 444 and Mediainfo confirms that the output is 444.

If I export and AMA linked sequence with even 1 effect - a resize let's say - the output is the Prores 444 codec, but MediaInfo reports that it is actually operating in 4:2:2 space.

My sequence is 3.2k, RGB709. The Media Creation Setting is set to 16bit rendering. The default render codec across the board is Prores444.

The only setting I can think of that could fix the issues is Format -> Maximum Bit Depth Output, which is greyed out and set to 10... Anyone know how to either enable this setting or export a sequence at truly 444 color space?

All the other methods I've used have had issues as well. MXF OP1a, Avid Media Encode, Timeline mixdown...

Same as source is most promising because it gives me the output I expect, but not if any effect is involved.

Thanks for any advice.

• Sat, Oct 20 2018 5:35 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,499
    • Points 63,770
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: AMA Linked Prores 444 Export Issues

Have you tried setting the Render tab in the Media Creation settings to Same as Source and processing to Automatic?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Oct 20 2018 5:23 PM In reply to

• videoword
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

hbrock:

Have you tried setting the Render tab in the Media Creation settings to Same as Source and processing to Automatic?

Yes, I have. To no avail!

• Sat, Oct 20 2018 7:20 PM In reply to

Is the 4:2:2 export actually smaller than the 4:4:4 output?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Oct 20 2018 7:29 PM In reply to

• videoword
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Yep, sure is. Just exported two 3 second clips from the same AMA source. One clean, no effects. One with a 5% blow up.

Clean one came through at 250MB. Resize came through at 164MB.

• Sat, Oct 20 2018 10:49 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

Here is a shot in the dark.  Try a mixdown of the sequence to the desired codec.  Do a reveal file of the mixdown and check it's size.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Oct 21 2018 2:30 AM In reply to

• videoword
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Interestingly enough, the workaround I found is to render all the effects and then do a mixdown (all at Prores444) and then do a SaS export. That does result in a PR444 12 bit verified-444 file.

I didn't compare file sizes until these suggestions but this is what I've found: The mixdown size is virtually the same size as the version that ends up at 422.

So if I mixdown the resized AMA it's 157.9MB and reads 444. If I SaS export the resized AMA it reads 157.3MB, but is 422.

The SaS export of the AMA with no resize comes to 250MB.

• Sun, Oct 21 2018 11:11 AM In reply to

My only worry would be that the mixdown is blowing up 4:2:2 to 4:4:4

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sun, Oct 21 2018 6:49 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

I have to agree.  From what the OP is saying there seems to be a really big bug.

File size is the quick way to see if 444 is being made.  I would also do some difference matte testing if I thought I was getting close.

I might try a mixdown WITHOUT doing any renders first just to see if that makes a difference.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:22 AM In reply to

• videoword
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Yeah, it's a good suggestion, but it's the same result.

The only hopeful thing I can think of is that MediaInfo is not returning accurate information.

Any other software that'll analyse the encoding of a video file that I can can double check against?

Davinci only seems to give bit depth, but not sub sampling.

• Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:30 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

At this point, I would hope that Pat, being a Moderator, can push this up the pipeline at Avid to have them weigh in.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Oct 22 2018 3:21 AM In reply to

• videoword
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

I really hope so. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this ASAP.

In the meantime I'm going to render out DPX sequences instead. Hopefully it's a different render engine? Using the option 'highest quality scaling, overwrite media creation settings'? If you happen to know... let me know!

I'm just afraid as soon as you put a stupid little resize on there it suddenly is getting rendered out at an inferior rate, regardless of the end container.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller