Latest post Tue, Jan 8 2019 2:25 AM by DStone. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 18 2018 1:40 PM

Set the default AMA Plugin

Hi,

does anybody know where to set an prefered AMA plug in for the source browser?

On every new path you navigate, source browser is processing the MXF files of SONY cameras with the AVID MSP_MXF plugin instead of the XAVC_XDCAM Nablet plugin.

This is very uncomfortable, because you must always wait until all clips are processed by the "wrong" AMA plugin and then need to change it with a rightclick option -> link with Nablet XAVC_XDCAM plugin and wait for processing again.

This is a request for exsample FS7 and F5 Material.

It would be fine if the last used plugin would be prefered used for same material.

Any ideas how to solve this problem.

Thank you all

• Sat, Jan 5 2019 12:02 AM In reply to

Re: Set the default AMA Plugin

+1 on this.  For us on Sony formats this would be really helpful.

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 MSI GT73VR 6RE Titan SLI Intel i7 Laptop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM USB3 media storage BlackMagic Design UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

Jason Spencer, Director/DP/Editor digitallunchbox.com

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 3:05 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,075
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

cgnbroadcast:

Any ideas how to solve this problem.

Unfortunately, this is not something that can be solved by the end-user. I know where the extensions are tied to the various plug-ins, but there isn't an easy way to change them. The extensions are tied to GUIDs, not file names, and I've not been able to find where the GUIDs are mapping back to the files (they're not file IDs, object IDs, or located in the Windows registry). The mappings are static, so new plug-ins won't overwrite them. I strongly suspect that the GUIDs are hard-coded somewhere in the code to the specific plug-ins, and that there isn't a way to extend them outside of MC development.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 3:51 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,609
    • Points 60,235

Can you not put the source browser into list mode, select all files in a folder, right-click and specify the desired plugin (without having to wait for linking via the 'wrong' plugin)? I haven't tried it and fortunately for my Sony camera, MC always picks the Nablet plugin first...

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:04 AM In reply to

It is possible while source browser is processing the clips to mark them (not easy to catch all in this time) and choose the right plug-in via right click -> link with .... AMA Plug-in.

But choosing next folder or card switch back to the default AVID MXF AMA plug-in and did not use the last used plug-in.

This is really anoying when you need to ingest a lot of material.

A change from the developer team would be a great advantage.

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 11:40 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,609
    • Points 60,235

I agree that being able to set a default AMA plugin for a certain type of media would be useful. Not sure how they would uniquely identify the footage, though.

I have run into a similar issue with Go Pro footage with AAC audio. When it is linked with the Avid Generic plugin, audio cross-dissolves do not render and so before linking to this footage I must select the QuickTime plugin,,, I do understand your pain but manual selection is not that difficult when you are only dealing with tens or even hundreds of files. In your case, with many cards to ingest, this could be quite annoying as you have stated.

Because there are so many variables that affect which plugin to use, we could not rely on file extension - we'd need to look inside each media file to determine the video and audio codec(s) and then use the combination as a signature to relate to a default AMA plugin.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.11 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 |... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jan 6 2019 12:16 PM In reply to

Hi Steve,

I did not talk from analysing the files to choose the right AMA plug-in.

It would be useful to hold the last used plug-in when choosing another folder for linking.

Next step could be to define a setting for the prefered AMA plug-in when you use most times the same material this makes more sense than everytime change to the right plug-in.

That would save a lot of time. Even when the linking of hundreds of files in each folder takes a while.

• Tue, Jan 8 2019 2:25 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,501
    • Points 45,075
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

BarkinMadd:
    I agree that being able to set a default AMA plugin for a certain type of media would be useful. Not sure how they would uniquely identify the footage, though.
    The MC Source Browser opens each media file in order to determine the exact file type, and whether or not it can be linked. So Avid could determine if it's XAVC and switch to the Nablet plug-in, But that's a development change.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller