Latest post Mon, Oct 15 2018 9:47 AM by Mike. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 12 2018 8:21 PM

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 14 2010
    • Lost Angelas, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Rotation in Pan & Zoom

Please please please add rotation parameters inside Avid Pan & Zoom. The effect is great for stills but not having the ability to easily rotate is killing me.

• Fri, Oct 12 2018 9:27 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 304
    • Points 3,490

Re: Rotation in Pan & Zoom

+1. I would like to not have to buy and support another seat of stagetools moving picture with rotation ever again. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Sat, Oct 13 2018 7:14 AM In reply to

+1, too,

but did you ever try Alt+dragging the 3D Warp FX on top of your Pan & Zoom? It allows Rotate. Crop, Target and much more...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 13 2018 4:25 PM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Lost Angelas, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Yeah but if you do that, you don't have the full image available. You only rotate what's essentially a raster-sized cutout of the clip. So if you rotate, you also have to zoom in further to push in past the edges. It's just an extra unnecessary step to begin with. If you can control zoom and positioning with AP&Z, you ought to be able to rotate right within the effect.

• Sat, Oct 13 2018 5:25 PM In reply to

Mike:

Yeah but if you do that, you don't have the full image available. You only rotate what's essentially a raster-sized cutout of the clip. So if you rotate, you also have to zoom in further to push in past the edges. It's just an extra unnecessary step to begin with. If you can control zoom and positioning with AP&Z, you ought to be able to rotate right within the effect.

I hear you, but let’s get into the weeds a little:

In a simple two Keyframe FX, if you start wide with slightly rotated image, one has to account for “black edges” no matter if that twist was solely done within 3D Warp, or a Rotation-capable P&Z FX, right?

I have been comparing last-keyframe end results of zoomed-in, 3D Warp FX (using just Rotate on Start wider start Keyframe) + Pan & Zoon (using Scale) versus just Pan & Zoom... and the picture quality on my PC monitor as well as on an older HD-SDI capable Pro Panny monitor are pretty similar, in 1080 Project.

To my mind, a typical use of Rotation in a Pan & Zoom FX would be adding a rotational twist to a close-up starting Keyframe, ending with zero rotation on the ending, wide, Keyframe which typically needs no Rotation if it was scanned correctly and that’s the look you want.

So, YES to your feature request, for sure, but I also urge you to do what I did after scouring the forum archives and reading answers from editors that discussed this topic—- or try using an added 3D Warp on top of your P&Z FX and see for yourself.

If you are an old hand at all this, including 3D Warp’s target parameter, I’ll defer to your experience re: quality, etc.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 14 2018 11:38 PM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Lost Angelas, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Yeah, I've tried adding a 3D Warp on top. It doesn't work. I'm not sure I follow the example you stated, but essentially - I have a still that's off-axis that I want to correct. I'm not animating the rotation parameter to zero. The issue for me is that it cuts off the edges. Rotating is pointless if, when I rotate, I'm only able to use a portion of the image. I would just do it all in 3D Warp but there is a substantial difference in quality between 3DW and P&Z, since P&Z utilizes the full image size.

Yes 

• Mon, Oct 15 2018 5:14 AM In reply to

Mike:

Yeah, I've tried adding a 3D Warp on top. It doesn't work. I'm not sure I follow the example you stated, but essentially - I have a still that's off-axis that I want to correct. I'm not animating the rotation parameter to zero. The issue for me is that it cuts off the edges. Rotating is pointless if, when I rotate, I'm only able to use a portion of the image. I would just do it all in 3D Warp but there is a substantial difference in quality between 3DW and P&Z, since P&Z utilizes the full image size.

Yes 

Sounds like you have a file that is somewhat crooked, but you can visualize a way to correct it AND do your intended camera move without losing any portion of the image because of the Rotation. I suppose that’s possible, depending on the relative aspect ratio of the file vs. your Project (if end result is full frame).

If you can describe the exact size in pixels of your file, the amount of Rotation required to correct it being “off axis”, and also the Project, and look of the camera move in terms of keyframe’s scale and position within the full Project Frame it would be instructive. 

Or perhaps look to 3rd Party software like Fusion or Boris Avid MC Plugins, etc. for your Pan Zooms.

Hope that helps, good luck and +1 on your feature request.

• Mon, Oct 15 2018 9:47 AM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Lost Angelas, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Hey thanks, I appreciate your help. Now that I'm thinking more about it, I realized what I can do. I think I've been rotating the final zoomed-in image. I need to rotate it while it's much wider than the final framing I want, and then push in with P&Z. I feel stupid not noticing that earlier. In any event, it'd still be great to have right inside the effect! Yes

• Mon, Oct 15 2018 9:47 AM In reply to

• Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Lost Angelas, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 215

Hey thanks, I appreciate your help. Now that I'm thinking more about it, I realized what I can do. I think I've been rotating the final zoomed-in image. I need to rotate it while it's much wider than the final framing I want, and then push in with P&Z. I feel stupid not noticing that earlier. In any event, it'd still be great to have right inside the effect. Yes

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller