Latest post Fri, Oct 5 2018 8:40 AM by TrevorA. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 2 2018 10:56 PM

• MTaylor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Clip Gain (in Timeline) only adjusts volume fader

When I try to use Clip Gain (in Timeline) to boost really low volume, it only adjusts volume fader. Is this an adjustment AVID has made or is it a bug?

This is a brand new install 2 days ago by Avid support.

Thanks

MC 8.84 Dongle - MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32 GB 667 MHz DDR2 Mac OS 10.11.6

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 6:17 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,073
    • Points 12,205

Re: Clip Gain (in Timeline) only adjusts volume fader

That is normal behaviour. What were you expecting?

For greater adjustments use audiosuite ‘gain’ effect

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 6:48 PM In reply to

• MTaylor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2018
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Thanksforyour response TrevorA.

I haven't been working on an Avid since end of 2013, so whatever the current verrsion that was out there at the time  -- and previous versions,  when you opened the track control panel, and you would get 3 items you could effect: Clip Gain, Volume and pan, just like v 8.84.)

When I would select and increase the clip gain in the particular clip, it would move the line in that particular clip up similar to having a clip that just starts out louder. It didn't effeft the volume in the audio mixer. Then I could have a much farther range in volume. (I mean why would would there be BOTH a "clip Gain" AND a "Volume" adjustment in the track control panel, if they do the same thing)?

So I think AVID change things, or it's a bug.

Does anyone  have any ideas?

• Fri, Oct 5 2018 1:14 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 217
    • Points 2,285

No it’s not a bug

clip gain affects the whole clip and volume can be keyframed (rubber band style)

and

the volume seems to be post effects which is really useful while clip gain seems to be pre effects

So this enables your “volume” mix to be crafted after the compressors have done their job, just like a real mix

you will notice in the mixer that there is an “auto” setting, this is for the keyframe volume, as an alternative to mousing the keyframe sin the timeline.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 5 2018 8:40 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,073
    • Points 12,205

MTaylor:

Thanksforyour response TrevorA.

I haven't been working on an Avid since end of 2013, so whatever the current verrsion that was out there at the time  -- and previous versions,  when you opened the track control panel, and you would get 3 items you could effect: Clip Gain, Volume and pan, just like v 8.84.)

When I would select and increase the clip gain in the particular clip, it would move the line in that particular clip up similar to having a clip that just starts out louder. It didn't effeft the volume in the audio mixer. Then I could have a much farther range in volume. (I mean why would would there be BOTH a "clip Gain" AND a "Volume" adjustment in the track control panel, if they do the same thing)?

So I think AVID change things, or it's a bug.

I don't think anything has changed here MTaylor. Maybe you are misremembering.

The timeline allows you to see a trace for clip gain AND volume OR pan

The audio mixer has 3 pages Clip / Auto / Live

The clip gain timeline adjustment/fader affects the fader in the Clip page of the mixer.

The clip gain timeline line reflects the fader in the Clip page of the mixer. It only shows when there has been an adjustment (although the gradations show and the name of the clip moves to the top). It stays showing then even if clip gain is reset to unity. Clip gain cannot be keyframed.

The volume timeline line reflects the fader in the Auto page of the mixer AND only shows if there are keyframes. These keyframes are tied to the clip and travel with it (unlike, for example, PPro track mixer where the keyframes are tied to sequence timecode).

So you can add +12dB of clip gain, then add auto gain of +12dB. Bad practice IMO as it isn't clear what you are doing if another editor takes over.

Better to use audiosuite Gain plug-in (up to +96dB) or you can add 40dB of gain in Dyn3 plug-in or 30dB of gain in a channel strip plug-in. (Plus you can now nest plug-ins or use 5 track plug-ins... you can really blow your ears & your speakers!)

The pan timeline line reflects the pan in the mixer AND only shows if there are keyframes. (Pan is reflected in both Clip and Auto pages of mixer as there can be only 1 value for it at any given time. If there are keyframes then the Clip page pan control is disabled.) I've rarely used the automated pan.

The 'LIVE' page on the mixer is useless in my experience. Would love to be able to hide it, rather than cycle through it (long standing feature request).

I did find the following at: https://community.avid.com/forums/t/123132.aspx - could be useful:

Adjust Clip Gain in Timeline, only with keyboard: 

ALT(OPT) + SHIFT + Arrow UP/DOWN adjusts Clip Gain in Timeline 
    (when Clip Gain is visible in timeline settings & Track selected)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller