Latest post Mon, Sep 24 2018 12:37 PM by Fish. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 22 2018 4:02 PM

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 534
    • Points 6,475

The problem with Proxy editing

Working in a Proxy resolution helps a lot when you have to work,as we always do, with full resolution footage that the system can’t reliably playback. But there are issues and we think these could be solved with a few tweaks in the software.

IMPORTS: When you work with proxy resolutions the MC switches import codecs to a lower standard (e.g. HQX to LB) And you import file, it will import at a lower codec, not the best codec. Additionally, if you forget that you are in proxy mode, the imports will be much slower to import and inferior quality. And if your file has an alpha channel, it just throws that away. Import a lot of alpha channel files and discover this later is actually pretty annoying. If you do remember to turn off the proxy mode first, the MC is not smart enough to return to the best codec. So you have to remember to change the Media Creation setting too. Switch it back to a proxy mode after the import, the MC once again switches to a downgraded import codec. It seems to us that imports (of any kind - drag and drop, import as, or the source browser) should assume you want the proxy temporarily turned off for that import and turned back on afterward In other words, it should be an invisible process. EXPORTS: Given the incompatibility of proxy files with a lot of encoders, there are enormous problems with getting files out of the MC. The results are files that render black or red or bits of red intermixed within a timeline - unacceptable outputs to be sure. And these problems may be flagged with a warning, but not an explanation or an option to avoid these problems. Instead, once again, the exports should be a seamless,  invisible process. The MC should switch the proxy off for you, render everything in the sequence, export the file and then switch the proxy back on. Some may argue we should remember this, but we argue that what is going on and what the “results may be" is never fully explained or understood. So it seems incumbent on the MC to avoid these pitfalls. After all, the fundamental purpose of software is efficiency - saving us time. Things that get in the way of this are basically unwelcome and should be avoided whenever possible.

Thank you.
    ><({(º> 
    2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Mon, Sep 24 2018 11:20 AM In reply to

Re: The problem with Proxy editing

Interesting points. For a standalone editor I can see its a complex process, although some will argue that MC turning on and off things automatically isn't always the most helpful if you don't want that.

For bigger post operations ingest and export are normally handled by different stations so the editors don't engage with that process or codec choices and of course in that setup its much less of an issue.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Sep 24 2018 12:37 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 534
    • Points 6,475

Re: The problem with Proxy editing

To be clear, we’re simply asking the MC to “ignore” the proxy setting while performing these operations.

Because…the user forgetting doing so results in a bad import and export. Who wants a bad import or export? How is that a process that people desire?
    Just the alpha channel issue alone (ignoring alpha imports in proxy mode) is pretty annoying and has no merit.
    There are millions of processes that happen in the background while the MC is asked to do something. This is just another switch we’re asking the MC to handle for us…for everyone. 

><({(º> 
    2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller