Latest post Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:39 PM by Kevin Klimek. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 21 2018 8:27 PM

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,210
    • Points 14,650

Shared Nexis questions

I'm working on a project with a shared Avid storage system. I'm used to "DIY Sharing" with mirror copies of the mediafiles on external drives, but that's different. So I have a couple of questions.

The project was setup on one of the shared drive which are mounting automatically when Nexis starts. It's the right way to do it? Shouldn't the project be on the internal HD of each Mac in the Shared Avid Projects?

Also, the post-house is running all Macs, with OS 10.2.6 and Media Composer 8.6. The Nexis Client app is 18.5. We'd like to run a more current version of MC so we can have ScriptSync II (at least MC8.8 then) or why not 2018.9 since the iMacs are qualified. Would it work in this environment or is there some kind of version matrix to follow to line up the MC version with the Nexis and so on? The techs here claim it'll never work and it's not possible and MC2018.x is rubbish. I suspect them to not want to pay to update their dongles which are out of contract...

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 21 2018 8:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,888
    • Points 214,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Shared Nexis questions

Ha pierreh my friend....

Just working on this very thing.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/AvidNEXIS/AvidNEXIS_ReadMe_v2018.6.pdf 

http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/attach/Mac_Current_CPU_Specifications.pdf

Make sure you are on NEXIS 2018.4 of higher and the corresponding MC.  

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sat, Sep 22 2018 5:12 AM In reply to

pierreh:
    Shouldn't the project be on the internal HD of each Mac
    No, not if you want to use true Avid-style project sharing. In the case of true Avid project sharing, the project lives on a NEXIS volume, and multiple clients can work in the same project simultaneously. Whoever opens a bin first will automatically get read/write permission, and everyone who opens a bin second, will automatically get read-only rights to that bin. This way, MC ensures no conflicts happen.

I don't think version compatibility between MC and NEXIS clients tend to matter. NEXIS client versions and NEXIS sytem versions do. And then OS version may come into play at some point.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 22 2018 9:27 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,210
    • Points 14,650

I knew I could rely on you two for help! Thanks!

Is there a way to know the version Nexis is running from the "client" side? Or do I have to ask the techies at the post-house?

I always used the "Shared Avid Projects" on my Macs as the private one used to be the best source of permissions/access problems back in the early days of OSX. But for some reason I thought it had to do with shared storage too!

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 24 2018 9:39 PM In reply to

"Shared Avid Projects" are just shared within multiple users of that CPU. You actually want "External" for shared storage.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller