Latest post Mon, Oct 22 2018 12:57 AM by jcmcnamee. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 19 2018 9:06 AM

• Björn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 27 2010
    • Sweden
    • Posts 5
    • Points 105

Which upgrade option should I choose?

I have Media Composer and the Symphony option. My support plan now expires, so I have to choose a plan to pay for. It gives me a choice of Media Composer Software with Symphony Option for EUR360, or Media Composer Perpetual for EUR270. Since I already own the Symphony option, I should be able to choose the cheaper Perpetual, right? And then activate the Symphony option using my activation code. Or do I need to pay the more expensive option to "keep Symphony alive", so to speak?

Very hard to find any information about this.

I hope someone knows what I should do.

/Bjorn

Avid MC 2018.9 w Symphony, ProTools 2018.7, OSX 10.13.6, MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7, 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 19 2018 3:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,893
    • Points 214,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Which upgrade option should I choose?

/Bjorn

if you already have Symphony - then renewing at the perputal rate of EUR270 nets you the media composer Ultimate applications without SS, PF and Sym.  Yu can have all the features in MC including sharing bins and storage.    You would then activate the new MC with the activation provided and activation Symphony on top of that.

Remember if symphony is already activated on another license, then deactivate it first.  You can always email too if you have added questions.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 19 2018 2:56 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 215
    • Points 2,305

Ok I'm in the same boat as Bjorn. So just to clarify: if we currently have been doing the yearly $299 perpetual option and have also bought PF, SS and Symphony options along the way, then we can just do the bottom option "Media Composer Perpetual" for $299 and keep our current PF, SS, and Sympony? 

It's confusing that we're also offered the "Media Composer | Software with Symphony" option for $398 when we already have Symphony...makes it seem like we need to purchase that to keep our Symphony.

This is what I see:

MC options

Media Composer 2018.10 / OS 10.13.6 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 19 2018 3:10 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,893
    • Points 214,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hey there..... 

Since your plan is still valid, you want to do the $299 option as your MC component has the features and functionality of Ultimate minus the options SS, PF, and Sym.   So once you do that renewal at $299 you will have a year of MC Ultimate, along with your options. You DO NOT need to renew the options as you OWN them. 

That option at the top is for those without Symphony that wish to add it for the promo of $99 - $299 plus $99 = $398.

HTH

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Fri, Oct 19 2018 5:11 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 215
    • Points 2,305

So this would change me from perpetual to MC Ultimate yearly subscription? Since MC Ultimate makes PF, SS, and Symphony moot (they are included), but I have already paid for perpetual licenses for all three of those options, can I just do the $199 basic MC but with my previously paid for options? It looks like PF and SS are offereed as perpetual add-ons to the regular MC $199 subscription.

Media Composer 2018.10 / OS 10.13.6 27" iMac [3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 19 2018 5:36 PM In reply to

jcmcnamee:
    So this would change me from perpetual to MC Ultimate yearly subscription?

No, the 299 renewal keeps your current perpetual license under support -- so you get a year worth of upgrades and support.

There's no advantage for you to switch to Ultimate, since you already own the perpertual licenses for MC, SY, PF and SS.

an I just do the $199 basic MC but with my previously paid for options?

While you theoretically could keep your Symphony option and PhraseFind and ScriptSync options, and switch to the 199/yr subscription, this has two downsides: 1: you lose the ability to use your MC with shared storage (which you can with your perpetual license), and 2: you would no longer have a perpetual license.

A subscription license is a rental, so when you stop paying, it stops working. A perpetual license, you own, and it will let you run MC forever (albeit the last version released when under support).

My thought was, I'd rather keep it all perpetual for the extra 100 USD.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 19 2018 5:53 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,893
    • Points 214,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Job......

Perfectly put. One add... if your MC is already on plan and hasnt yet expired, technically you have the feature set of Ultimate minus the options.  

Job is always spot on!!!!!!

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Mon, Oct 22 2018 12:57 AM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 215
    • Points 2,305

Great, thanks for the responses Job and Marianna! I'll stick with the $299 perpetual as suggested.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller