Latest post Tue, Sep 18 2018 3:12 PM by Marianna. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 16 2018 4:38 PM

• att
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 8 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

alpha encoding

I´m working with 36 MXF project and when importing material there is something new in Source browser. What is the difference between uncompressed and RLE  alpha encoding? Do I save time if I choose RLE? How does it impact the working process later?

• Tue, Sep 18 2018 3:12 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,681
    • Points 211,365
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: alpha encoding

assuming you are using 2018.9........   You can now import, render, transcode and mixdown at uncompressed quality. This allows you to generate media that preserves the full quality of the Timeline (currently the Timeline is 16 bits maximum). DNxUncompressed is available at anyraster dimensions (HD, 2K, UHD etc.).

Starting with 2018.4, you have the option to choose to import an alpha channel as either Uncompressed or as Run Length Endcoded (RLE) which is used to reduce storage size and bandwidth during playback. (RLE) is a form of lossless data compression where runs of data are stored as a single data value and count. The default is Uncompressed. Access the Project Window Import Settings to select RLE compression.

this is a good place to educate on uncompressed versus RLE.

https://www.fileformat.info/mirror/egff/ch09_03.htm

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller