Latest post Fri, Oct 12 2018 4:31 PM by Kingsride. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 1:09 PM

Multicam camera selection slowdown

Hi editors,

I'd like to ask for some others to share their experiences as the subject is a bit subjective.

On new Avid supported HP z4 workstations with 32G memory with MC 2018.8 connected to a Nexis (pro or E4) through 1x or 2x 1G I'm getting multiple reports of a relatively large slowdown in the camera selection of 4 or 9 way multicam in larger timelines compared to previous versions of MC like MC 8.4.5. Several editors coming from HP Z420's with MC 8.4.5 that were editing a daily show for the past 2 years on an ISIS 5000 through 1G are agreeing that the slowdown really affects their work.

I checked myself and confirmed that the delay is indeed often between 1 and 2 seconds, not a disaster but considering that on older hardware with older versions of MC this was almost instant I do wonder if it needs to be reported to engineering.

I'm also wondering how the media cache settings might affect multicam performance.

Are others in the field also having muticam performance issues with MC 2018.x, more specifically 2018.8?   

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sun, Sep 30 2018 3:01 PM In reply to

• Kingsride
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 10 2013
    • Posts 68
    • Points 790

Re: Multicam camera selection slowdown

I am experiencing the same multicam performance degradation outlined above. 

Ignore my system description below. I’m working at a major London facility on a qualified HP workstation, 32GB. Avid Nitris hardware and Avid Nexis shared storage over fibre. I’ve attempted using 2018.5 and 2018.9 but have been rolled back to 8.6.4 as the multicam performance is hopeless on the others. Pretty much as described above. In and out of multicam mode takes seconds and should be pretty instantaneous . Once in, changing multicam angle again takes seconds and should be instant. 

I’ve likened it to how 8.6.4 performs on a long sequence with the Playlength left at zero. I can see no discernible performance improvement on the 2018 software with Playlength set to 1. Other than playback actually stopping after one minute, it performs as if the Playlength is still set to zero. Could this be a pointer to what’s going wrong? My multicam sequence only comprises 5 angles throughout and is maximum 40 minutes long. 

2018.5 or .9 were slowing me down to such an extent I would miss all my project deadlines. I HAD to revert back to 8.6.4 to have any of chance meeting them. Many other editors at this facility are complaining of similar performance issues and regular freezing and crashing, which I have also experienced. We are slowly rolling systems back to 8.6.4. It doesn’t frankly look good for Avid. There are serious issues with the 2018 rollout. 

Perry 

Macbook Pro Retina | 750GB | 10.10.5 | MC 8.4.2 | Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 30 2018 5:35 PM In reply to

Hi Perry,

Thanks for confirming. Rolling back is something I'm considering but not an easy choice as it concerns 39 editing suites being used 16 hours a day 7 days a week in my case. Another worry is backwards compatibility of sequences but that is just a question of testing.

8.6.5 is on my radar to go back to as it was a stable version in non Interplay environments but I was wondering if you also tried later versions. I'd really like to avoid going through all versions to find the latest iteration of MC where multicam performs as expected.

Avid? Care to join this thread? I was expecting that the introduction of the media cache would improve media composer's overal performance, including multicam, but realistically the overal performance degradation including multicam in large sequences is of such a severity that I'm about to follow Perry's path at some of our customers.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 10:26 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,589
    • Points 59,945

What media do you have in your Multicam clip?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 10:42 AM In reply to

XDCAM HD 50. I have the impression it's not media related but project/bin memory, loading and saving related.  

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 11:46 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,589
    • Points 59,945

Jeroen van Eekeres:

XDCAM HD 50. I have the impression it's not media related but project/bin memory, loading and saving related.  

I received this info from Avid (I asked them about your post in this thread):

"So we did a little testing internally and we found the below, using a Z4 (12C/24T) with 32GB RAM with 10Gb Nexis running MC 18.9. 

Ran 1080i 5994 - 9 way XDCAM first. That was dropping frames as CPU was close to 100%.  Not sure what format or compression customer is running as these facts are not listed in the email below.

Transcoded to Dnx145.  Play 9 way multicam with no dropped frames.  Switching cameras is instantaneous during multicam playback.

Doubtful they are running Dnx145 as 9 streams would be close to Nexis limit for dual 1Gb."

I have asked them to see if they could confirm a change in performance between 2018.9 and the earlier version(s) mentioning in this thread - that seems to be the most important question.

edit - They have mentioned to me that they have opened an internal issue number and will take a look at this further based on your two reports. Hopefully this gets some traction.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.7 | QT 7.7.9 | BCC 11 | Sapphire 11 | Mocha Pro 5.6 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | System: P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Oct 4 2018 3:11 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:
    Ran 1080i 5994 - 9 way XDCAM first. That was dropping frames as CPU was close to 100%.  Not sure what format or compression customer is running as these facts are not listed in the email below.

As mentioned XDCAM HD 50.

BarkinMadd:
    I have asked them to see if they could confirm a change in performance between 2018.9 and the earlier version(s) mentioning in this thread - that seems to be the most important question.

Yes it is. MC 8.4.5 on a HP z420 had no issue with 4 way XDCAM HD 50.

And I forgot to mention. A 3-5 minute timeline with XDCAM HD 50 material performs fine, it's when a timeline reaches 30 minutes or more when things start really slowing down, So while codec related, it's obviously not the long gop format itself but the way MC currently handles decoding/memory/GPU/etc.../etc...

• Thu, Oct 11 2018 2:08 PM In reply to

• Kingsride
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 68
    • Points 790

Sorry I’ve been absent from this thread, I’ve been editing non stop. 

Just to confirm my multicam details. Running five streams of DNxHD120 over fibre on Avid Nexis storage. 

Issues start as the sequence gets longer. Mine is 50 mins at its limit. Note also that there are only five or six multicam clips in total being used for the entire programme as it’s a studio recording. I’m not making a sequence of hundreds of different multicam clips. Editing a short 3 min spot is NOT what I’m doing. Working on a sequence of that length is a snappy experience. Mine is definitely not. 

I’m back on 8.6.4 in order to make life bearable. 

Perry. 

Macbook Pro Retina | 750GB | 10.10.5 | MC 8.4.2 | Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 12 2018 4:18 PM In reply to

• DJFio[DB]
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2005
    • Moscow Russia
    • Posts 255
    • Points 3,395

Hi!

Confirming that strange lag behaviour - i have dnx120x16cam groups on NEXIS PRO 40TB connected with 10GbE - MC becomes less responsive when timeline becomes more complex. Even i can not stop playback on the "new modern live timeline" :) 

versions affected all after 8.9x, and it became harder in the last versions with "live timeline"

MBPro_late_2013 15'' i7 16GBram OSX 10.12.6 MC 2018.10 BMD US monitor (or AJA io XT ), EXT thunderbolt NvidiaGPU 980ti; ATTO NT11;Baselight plug... [view my complete system specs]

DJFio[DB]

• Fri, Oct 12 2018 4:31 PM In reply to

• Kingsride
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 68
    • Points 790

Well as well as the poor respone with longer timelines I found this:

On 8.6.4 I'm used to hitting "muticam mode' followed by 'play' in quick sucession, both functions mapped to the keyboard. I may have to wait a few seconds, but the avid enters muticam and plays as I would expect.

With 2018.5, the wait is a good 6-8 seconds to enter muticam then playing the timeline. Hhowever the quads don't update, they stay frozen even though the timeline plays. I have to stop and play again to get the quads to update....Really really annoying. I refuse to use 2018.5 for this any many other reasons.

Perry 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller