Latest post Wed, Sep 19 2018 5:10 PM by ovidius. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 9 2018 3:47 AM

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,405

Workflow with scripts for documentaries?

I'm using Avid's scripting function for the first time.  
    When you are dealing with numerous takes of someone telling the same story, each with its own added details, what is the best way to keep what people are saying organized, when working with the script feature?

People say working with a script is important, and it's nice to have it all lined up and synced to a script in a window, but it just seems like a time-intensive extra step. I just end up going back to the clips, subclips and markers, or organized bins, anyway, to make choices or to review the takes, so is the hours of transcripting and syncing really worth it?

Can someone detail their exact process of marking up, organizing, and reviewing multiple, slightly different takes in the script window, and making choices, when working with documentary transcripts?  Perhaps I am missing an important way of working, here.

Thank you

UPDATE:  I ended up just dragging the one thumbnail over which covered the whole clip, syncing it in, and highlighting the script lines in red to note the portions of the interview used in the edit.   Not sure if that's the right way of doing it but it was sort of helpful.

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 9 2018 11:30 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 217
    • Points 2,285

Re: Workflow with scripts for documentaries?

I’ve used script sync on drama in the same way you are using it here that is without the voice recognition.

I found it really useful to mark up the takes so that I could quickly switch to same part of a different take, to check different performances, focus, etc, between takes at that exact part of the script. 

I allways imagined this would be useful on docs too, so you could stitch together a storytelling from multiple takes.

using a word search is useful too, perhaps you are looking for a different intonation for a word and you just ADR it in.

cant remember how it was all set up though, it was done by someone else.

not sure if the avid script does searches.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 10 2018 12:28 PM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,405

Ah!  Just replaced an ending of a word that looked un-fixable, with one earlier in the script.  Saved. Looks like the script function was worth the time spent!

I"ve relied on it quite a bit just to move between takes and find specific lines.  Like it.

Avid Media Composer 7, Macbook Pro Retina, Mountain Lion [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 10 2018 11:24 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 217
    • Points 2,285

Maybe in order to save time, you just mark one take per interview ,and make a start editing and seeing how it goes. Then as you progress, the interviews that would benefit from other takes being marked up may become clear.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 14 2018 3:10 AM In reply to

• SR555
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 214
    • Points 2,405

Thanks Martin!   =)

• Wed, Sep 19 2018 5:10 PM In reply to

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2018
    • Posts 10
    • Points 70

I don't mark anything up.  In documentaries I use ScriptSync to find pieces of interview, nothing else.  In other words, all the interviews are transcribed and synced and I don't ever go back to the clips – the transcripts are my "master clips" as it were.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller