Latest post Wed, Sep 19 2018 5:16 PM by dlogneb. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 6 2018 2:04 PM

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

Source/Record (Y Key) default behavior.

My memory is that hitting the "Y" key used to clear all segment tools and return you to the default mode where you are clicking to move the playhead around.

Somewhere around version 8 this changed?  Now "Source/Record" simply means getting out of effects-mode as far as I can see – it doesn't clear the segment tools.   When did this change?  Can we have it back to the way it used to be?  I really miss being able to hit the "Y" key and knowing what mode I was in.  Now it's a mystery what the button/mode is for at all.

Mac Os High Sierra (10.13.2) iMac Pro (2017) 3.2Ghz Intel Xeon W 32 GB 266 Mhz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 7 2018 5:01 PM In reply to

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

Re: Source/Record (Y Key) default behavior.

yes!

I miss this too.  I think it was the advent of the SmartTool that changed the behavior.   The problem is there is no way to deselect the SmartTools, only to toggle it. 

Avid, many of us work in "source/record" mode for most of our editing –– please please make it so one button can bring me to that mode!

• Sat, Sep 8 2018 2:22 AM In reply to

• ovidius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 6 2018
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

• Tue, Sep 11 2018 4:14 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

any chance someone can answer this?  It really bugs me.   :P

Mac Os High Sierra (10.13.2) iMac Pro (2017) 3.2Ghz Intel Xeon W 32 GB 266 Mhz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 3:31 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I think it's been like this since the introduction of the Smart Tools back in v5 - but I'm not sure, as this was quite a long time ago now!

Hitting Y returns you to Source/Record mode from Colour Correction, Effects or Trim mode. It will therefore 'cancel' any trim rollers on edits. But it doesn't cancel any segment selections, nor do I think it is intended to.

You can toggle all Smart Tools on/off with Shift/S. Perhaps this is what you need?

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 3:38 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

I've been told this, but my muscle memory says otherwise.  I think maybe in version 6 and 7 there was a way to totally disable smart-tool or something?  So then Y key returned you to the normal cursor behavior.

Having the segment tool selected should not be Source/Record mode to my mind.  You are not using in and out points, it is not source/record mode.

What would you call the mode where you click on the timeline and it moves the "now bar" around and in/out points create a selection?

I find it super frustrating that Avid doesn't have a name for the mode most used by most editors.  

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 3:49 PM In reply to

I use the checkbox in the timeline settings menu that enables clicking timeline bar to deselect smart tools.

2010 Mac Pro 2.66 GHz 12-core 64GB GTX 980Ti Solid State Boot 8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.11.6 El Capitan Symphony 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 4:07 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

No offense, I'm not trying to be contrarian, but that isn't an answer.

I know all the methods for disabling or toggling the smart-tool.  But if I'm in edit mode or effect mode, I press "Y" to get out.  There's no good reason why "Y" shouldn't disable the smart-tool.  Also, if I'm trying to get to source/record mode it is very possible that I don't want to be clicking with my mouse.   

Why make the user do things two ways when they could sensibly do it one way?

Why call it source/record mode if you're slipping and sliding segments around only on the record side and not using in/out points?

It just doesn't make sense.

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 4:12 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

Or think of it this way – why isn't there a single way to get to the mode I call "source/record"?    It's the most common mode to be in for every editor I've ever worked with or for.

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 5:20 PM In reply to

Non take, to each his own.

Although, looking in the command pallette, there's a "ST" key that seems to do exactly what you're looking for.

Try that?

2010 Mac Pro 2.66 GHz 12-core 64GB GTX 980Ti Solid State Boot 8x Fibre to Terrablock Currently running 10.11.6 El Capitan Symphony 8.9.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 5:31 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

No that just toggles the smart tool.  I have that mapped and have tried to use it instead of Y, but it isn't nearly as good as clearing all modes and entering "source/record",  it's behavior is erratic when leaving effect or trim mode. 

Which is why I miss what I believe the Y key used to do.   I'm gonnna have to find a version 7 system somewhere to see if I'm crazy.

But regardless, I still feel that it smart-tool on is not "source/record mode", so at the vary least the Avid nomeclature is screwed up.

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 5:41 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 457
    • Points 5,650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I don't entirely see your problem. You can mark In or Out points, make edits, and move the Position Bar around the timeline whether segments are selected or not .Segment selections are an integral part of Source/Record editing, not something separate from it. If you want to temporarily turn off Smart Tools entirely, you can do so (Shift/S), but they will gradually become re-enabled as you work and make different selections. This is as designed, and has been for a long time.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2018 5:44 PM In reply to

Ok, yeah, I see that, I guess I've somehow gotten lucky that when I'm exiting the pallettes (trim, effects, color) I've trained myselft to always use the Source/Record Button(as you like to do), but smart tools -- I just do differently. I guess the way I work, the smart tools are more of a gestural affair, so, it's never bothered me to do the 'click' to disable them (and that's coming from a serious hot-key guy).

J

• Wed, Sep 12 2018 6:19 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

umm okay

• Wed, Sep 19 2018 5:16 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 26
    • Points 255

I liked it the way it was before.  Seems totally reasonable to me that "Y" would disable all tools.

I get that the way it works now is how Avid "intends" me to work, but I like pressing one button to get back to what used to be "source/record" mode.   I don't see how changing this functionality would hamper anyone else.  YOU can press Shift-S after going into "source/record" mode is the way I see it.

:P

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller