Latest post Sun, Sep 2 2018 9:57 PM by George Angeludis. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 1 2018 10:05 AM

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,695

AMA Media Management Folder

Hi all

Does anyone know about the inner workings of the AMA Media Management folder?

It seems to  live in slightly different locations (depending on OS) but you should find it in the same place as the Attic. I've read that you can move/rename/delete this folder if you run into problems and MC will rebuild on startup.

Looking into the folder structure reveals some interesting files.

Firstly, there's a xml file which seems to list every file I've linked to. For each file I see the following data:

Media Pathname - where the file actually lives on your media drive.

Virtual volume pathname - the volume/folder this file came from,  eg. Roll 001.

Metadata pathname - the path to the metadata for this file.

The metadata is all stored in 'AMA Metadata Folders' which lives next to the xml file. Inside this folder you'll see lots of other folders whose names correspond to all the metadata pathname info in the xml. In each folder you'll see the following three files...

An aaf file which seems to be named after the original camera file name.

A file called 'amaFMID.pmr'

A file called 'amaMMOB.mdb'

The last two files seem to be the same sort of database files you find in the Avid Mediafiles/MXF numbered folders.

So the questions that come to mind are:

If you do delete the whole AMA Media Management folder structure (to let MC rebuild) I'm assuming it can't reconstruct the data from all the original clips I linked over several projects, and instead starts with a fresh (empty) folder?

Is the aaf file anything like the aaf files I understand?  Could you import this aaf file as one would do normally?

Is the amaMMOB.mdb like the ones created in the Avid Mediafiles folders? Can I use the technique of dragging this file directly into a bin to make a master clip?

Could one hack into the xml files to change (for example) the path to files?

B

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 1 2018 11:33 AM In reply to

Re: AMA Media Management Folder

My understanding was the creation of that AMA media management structure was to try and allow MC to manage AMA files in a similar way to Avid Media files.

So each time you AMA link the detail is stored so MC "knows" about it.

It does however have draw backs. AMA link to a test file on a memory stick. Then move that file to a media drive and re-AMA link it and you will find the source path is still showing as the memory stick. You have to delete the management folder to let MC re-learn.

It also feeds into the Media tool and showing related files as that AMA management is the source of AMA details.

But as it remembers each and every AMA link it grows and becomes bloated. I prefer to just trash it every now and then. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Sat, Sep 1 2018 12:42 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,695

Pat

Thanks for the reply.

Some of what you said seems to raise more questions.

Pat Horridge:
    So each time you AMA link the detail is stored so MC "knows" about it.

So, this would imply that if I'd re-linked the media again (say in another bin) there would be a further entry in the AMA media management database for the same linked file? or can there only be one reference to a particular file?  This takes us to the following...

Pat Horridge:
    AMA link to a test file on a memory stick. Then move that file to a media drive and re-AMA link it and you will find the source path is still showing as the memory stick.

Not sure if you're talking about re-linking to the original linked master clips or just creating a new bin and AMA linking. I've successfully re-linked AMA media using the 'Relink to Files' command, rather than using the normal 'relink' command. This command asks you identify the new location for the first file (assuming you'd highlighted a bunch of files in the bin) which it duly re-links to, plus any other matches it finds in that same folder. I would think this would re-write the database to reflect the new location, but you're suggesting this doesn't happen?

Pat Horridge:
    But as it remembers each and every AMA link it grows and becomes bloated. I prefer to just trash it every now and then.

So assuming I've trashed the database, when MC opens and re-builds this database, where is it looking for the information? If it's just looking at the currently loaded project and online linked media, then I can see how it would be a much leaner database. This would mean that any media that is currently offline/not attached, (or any other project) would be excluded. If it actually does scan all the projects and their bins to extract the required data, it seems to me that the database would be just as bloated as before.

If I have some time on my hands, I might try some of these scenarios out, as well as some of the 'tweaks' to the database I mentioned in my original post.

B

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 2 2018 9:57 PM In reply to

From what I have seen and from what I am doing after I don't need any AMA linked files anymore

if I delete the AMA folder all AMA related info are lost.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.10 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller