Latest post Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:43 AM by luca.mg. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 30 2018 2:31 AM

• FCPuser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 14 2006
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

Locked out of Media Composer, expired subscription.

Currently I'm unable to open my copy of Media Composer.  Had an annual subscription that expired in Feb of 2017.  The deal was that I could continue to use that version of MC forever, and I did in fact keep using it for a while afterwards.  However, tried to fire it up the other day and got the whole activation dialogue.  App manager hung up/wouldn't initialize or connect to my account so I uninstalled and reinstalled.  Now it connects, but that hasn't helped.  It still has all my details (system id and activation id, symphony option, etc) in the licensing tab, but when I try to activate it tells me my subscription must be renewed.

That wasn't the deal! I never upgraded MC after my subscription expired, so I should be able to access MC, right?  How can I use this software I paid for?

I gotta say, this system is a real hassle!

(Contrary to my username, I've been using Avid for about 10 years now)

• Thu, Aug 30 2018 9:51 AM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,703
    • Points 18,765
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Locked out of Media Composer, expired subscription.

Hello FCPuser, 

Email or pm me I will help.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 2 2018 1:30 AM In reply to

• FCPuser
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 14 2006
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

This issue is still an issue, haha.  I.e., no resolution.  It's kind of frustrating having the software, reading the terms of my license which says I can use the last version available during my purchased year in perpetuity, and not being able to.  Plus having to seek a fix in the forums because customer service is a paywall?  Avid, man... come on!  Do I need to change my user name to get into my software?

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 4:57 AM In reply to

Did you email RalphC?

FCPuser:
    Plus having to seek a fix in the forums because customer service is a paywall?

You can contact Avid Support for free help with activation problems.

http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact

Select Broadcast & Video, then on the next page click the + next to Contact Support and call the number listed for your area.  Help with activation issues is free, and it's option 2 from the phone menu.

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Nov 2 2018 10:54 AM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,315
    • Points 59,940
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

I suggest that you enter your system specifications in your user profile. What version are you using?

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 5 2018 6:21 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,414
    • Points 63,435

Not sure about what the deal was. It is my understanding that with the annual subscription once the year is gone You can't run the software anymore, while You can keep using an expired MC with the perpetual license; You seem to belong to the former. My best guess is that You've been able to use the software during the one month grace period allowed for renewal, and are now at a full stop.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:24 AM In reply to

• Izette
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 7 2011
    • South Africa
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

The exact same thing happened to me today! And I'm in the middle of the edit. I also understood that I can keep on using the Software & dongle that I legally bought... just not upgrade! I bought the software many years ago.... so feel I should not be locked out!!!

Media Composer 8.6.5 MacBook Pro 15 (2012) Processor 2,3GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 1TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:38 AM In reply to

• Izette
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 7 2011
    • South Africa
    • Posts 6
    • Points 90

Ok, I'm back in!!!

I just updated my Application manager to the latest version and restarted the computer!

(I kind of ignored the update of the application manager because I knew I can't update Media Composer)

Good luck

Media Composer 8.6.5 MacBook Pro 15 (2012) Processor 2,3GHz Intel Core i7 Memory 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 1TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 5 2018 8:43 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,414
    • Points 63,435

If dongle it's a perpetual license.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller