Latest post Sun, Aug 12 2018 11:55 PM by Alastair Tye-Samson. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 11 2018 2:32 PM

Aja T-tap or Blackmagic Mini Monitor

I have been using a cheese grater and BM decklink card for years, and it has been flawless.  I am now upgrading to a new imac and was thinking that I would purchase a BM Mini monitor.  But I have heard it may have problems and that a T-tap may be the way to go.  Can anyone give me their experiences of either to help me decide?  Much appreciated, Kim

• Sun, Aug 12 2018 1:44 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

Re: Aja T-tap or Blackmagic Mini Monitor

Hi ,I have been using the BM ultra studio mini for a few years with MC and resolve with zero problems.

Onlly thing to be aware of is that the audio goes out via the mini monitor (HDMI in my case) and since my monitor did not have an audio out I needed to get a audio - hdmi split, before the hdmi went into the monitor. I bought one from eBay $50 or so.

I had a Dell monitor which did provide an audio out, but the audio quality was really bad.

i notice there are lots of used mini monitors for sale as many are upgrading to 4K

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 12 2018 11:55 PM In reply to

Re: Aja T-tap or Blackmagic Mini Monitor

I've used both, but haven't used the T-Tap for a few years now.

From memory, I far preferred the T-Tap with Media Composer. However, it only worked with Media Composer, at the time it wouldn't work with lots of other applications like Resolve or Smoke.

So yeah... the only reason that I ultimately went the Mini Monitor route was that it worked with everything that I use... Avid, Smoke, and Resolve. The first Mini Monitor I got died within a couple of days, but it was replaced quickly and the replacement has been running for two or three years 10+ hours a day and has never given me grief. 

Also, keep in mind that while the Mini Monitor is outputting 10bit via the SDI, it is *not* outputting 10b via the HDMI. So that's another very important consideration if you're doing any finishing work.

Hardware: 5K iMac (late 2015 17,1), 4 GHz i7, 32 GB, M395X w/ 4 GB, Promise Pegasus2 R4 in RAID 5 | Additional monitoring: 2.5K thunderbolt display, Dreamcolor... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller