Latest post Sat, Aug 11 2018 3:07 PM by Telegram!. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 9 2018 7:31 PM

Spectramatte

Hello community,

I'm currently learning more about spectramatte in order to expand my learning about keying inside Avid, I usually use After Effects so the thought of keeping it all inside one program is fantastic.

I am using a variety of online tutorials and lynda.com has been an awesome resource to learn (sorry for the sell) however the green screen footage in the exercise file is XDCAM 35mbits interlaced, so not great at all to pull a clean key with. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of other resources out there either where you can find well lit, high res, progressive chroma 4:2:2 footage available for free download and so I am having to do a lot of fiddling and using a whole host of work arounds like colour correcting before I key, using garbage mattes, doubling up the footage, transcoding to DNX, to try and get near something good.

To be fair, given that the footage I am working with is low bit rate and interlaced, I am able to pull a fairly decent key, however it seems to be a toss up between having a solid matte and a crunchy outline on the foreground actor's neck and body, or a slightly transparent matte and a smooth outline.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case when using spectramatte to pull keys with decent well lit high res footage (progressive, chroma 4:2:2 or beyond)? I know every green screen shoot is different and poses new challenges but unfortunately I don't have any descent footage to practise with, so I am wondering if anyone has any insight, tips/tricks, advice on whether it's worth sticking with this keyer or just to use a 3rd party software like AE.

Ideally I would like to keep everything inside Media Composer so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Michael

• Fri, Aug 10 2018 10:06 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 527
    • Points 6,675

Re: Spectramatte

Spectramatte is a fairly decent keyer but is showing it's age, as Avid haven't really updated it since it was introduced over a decade ago.

One of it's good points is that it's usually a real-time effect on the timeline, but it does have some serious shortcomings - such as the fact that apart from basic horizontal & vertical crops, there's no integrating masking tools. Also missing is the ability to colour correct the keyed image without messing up your key colour. There are ways to circumvent these shortcomings, but they're clumsy workarounds at best.

I'm generally using Spectramatte to quickly create temp greenscreens, which are good enough during edit sessions for the client to get a sense of the final look. However, I almost always end up going to After Effects to do the final composites.

If you're looking for practise footage, try heading over to...

https://www.hollywoodcamerawork.com/green-screen-plates.html

HP Z800, HP8760, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 8.10, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 10 2018 10:20 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,258
    • Points 39,540

The new Delta keyer in Fusion is really good.  It is not directly in Avid as the OP wished.  But it is part of the free Fusion version.  Fusion has a very steep learning curve if you are not used to a node based comp tool.  Plus you have to work out a round trip method based on your own situation.

Just a thought.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Aug 11 2018 12:00 AM In reply to

This MC6 book can up your Avid game tremendously... Make sure you get the included DVD media disk it comes with.... it is available for a song...

Free Fusion has great Lynda.com support.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 11 2018 2:13 PM In reply to

Thanks for your responses and the recommendation of the book! It’s not as cheap here in the UK, got it for £30 but still think it’s worth it!

• Sat, Aug 11 2018 3:07 PM In reply to

Michael Freedman:

Thanks for your responses and the recommendation of the book! It’s not as cheap here in the UK, got it for £30 but still think it’s worth it!

You're very welcome. The East book is the best, imo and I think I got them all. The Tracking section is awesome. Soon,you will be the one answering forum questions!

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller