Latest post Thu, Aug 9 2018 2:06 AM by Martin Fox. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 7 2018 10:52 PM

Colour grading V-Log L footage

Hi,

I have the Panasonic GH5 with V-Log L installed, and have been running some tests.  No doubt I am missing something here, as manually colour grading the footage in MC hasn't produced particularly spectacular results - see attached.  The initial data in the Y Waveform showed a thick band more or less exactly in the middle-range, indicating major scope for pulling contrast, but, at least within current parameters, I could not even get close (as the attached shows).

I have not got to grip with LUTs at all.

Please advise,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 8 2018 3:34 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

Re: Colour grading V-Log L footage

Is there more to your screenshots than just the Y waveform?

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 8 2018 5:31 AM In reply to

Hi Martin,

Yes, the entire screen shot is somehow there.  I never quite understood this forum's format, because at a glance it does look like less than half of my screenshot is showing, and yet previous respondents have answered my previous queries fully, so there must be a way for you to access the full image.  Have a try.

Erm, any moderators around to show us how to access the full image?

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 8 2018 5:33 AM In reply to

• Wed, Aug 8 2018 5:38 AM In reply to

I've just re-attached and re-sized.  Again, I think you can 'get in there' and look at the picture more fully, although just in case you can't the Master Gain is maxed-out at 200, Master Set-up is at -71.98, the image remains quite murky and in the RGB Parade the potential for much more contrast pull is clearly indicated.

• Wed, Aug 8 2018 9:51 AM In reply to

You can still yank the Master Curve.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:09 AM In reply to

Hi Job,

I just tried that and while there is a lot of scope in the Master Curve, nothing at all grabbed me as if I might be in the 'ball park'.  Maybe I need to learn how to expose it correctly, though, again, I would have thought that even a cursory effort would have yielded decent initial results.  I thought that a thick band in the middle of the Y waveform indicated major scope for broadening highs and lows, thus producing dazzling colours in the middle.  Any advice on how to incorporate LUTs into MC, and start playing around here?

DC

• Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:38 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,212
    • Points 15,245
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Trying to address both issues here...

1) RT-clicking on the image and selecting "Open image in new tab" gets anyone access to the original attachment.

2) RE: LUTs, I'm not quite sure you're grasping the core concepts behind what they're for. They really aren't a color correction tool or a means of getting anywhere near a ballpark. If I were to make an analogy, it would be to Kodak developing a reel of film. The film processors at Kodak develop the film in a specific chemical way to prep it as best as possible FOR color correction. Thus the blues within the image will actually color correct as proper blues, not as somewhat cyan or green. Take a look at this chart [HERE]. It shows old school film stocks, and on the far right, it shows the templated chemical process that was used for each specific film stock. This is what a LUT does. It takes the raw image shot in (whatever) camera at (whatever) settings, and allows you to manually select exactly what (insert film chemical process analogy here) way you choose to prep it best FOR color correction. Thus the blues within the image will actually color correct as proper blues, not as somewhat cyan or green.

That being said, what you need to do moving forward is:
    - Apply the correct LUT for the media that was shot,
    - Begin primary color correction, followed by any secondary color correction that is needed,
    - Google is your friend. Check out things like [THIS]. If after watching a number of LUT tutorials you are still unclear, then I'd recommend going to take an in-person training class on LUTs, or even perhaps a remedial course on the basic engineering of video, which teaches what terms like rec709 actually mean.

The takeaway: Never feel bad that you don't know something. Ask questions! It's why we're all here. But also try to go find training you can pay for. Paying someone to sit down next to you and show you things for even one hour is worth 100+ back-and-forth community posts, which only offer "snackable knowledge" rather than a full meal.

Hope that helps!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:43 AM In reply to

Ah, the following video gives an indication, see below.  Just to let you know what options are presently available to me:

i) In "source color space" drop-down I have, amongst many options, a "Panasonic V-Gamut/V-Log" option.

ii) But then in the next drop-down there is nothing comparable to "Vlog to V709 for V35 ver 100 (3D)", as per the tutorial. 

How to get this initial Vlog LUT into MC?  Also, where to find relevant other LUTs and get these into MC?  Here's the tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=VLOG+and+LUTs+Part+2+-+using+LUTS+in+Avid+Media+Composer

Thank you,

DC

• Wed, Aug 8 2018 11:54 AM In reply to

Thanks Pixel Monkey, through and through good stuff.

• Wed, Aug 8 2018 1:50 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,212
    • Points 15,245
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Always a pleasure. 

I'm not sure at the moment because I'm on the road... heading out to teach editing to some kids with autism... but all I would be doing is Googling it for you anyway. So instead, could you Google it? You'll probably find the same results I would.

Happy editing!

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Wed, Aug 8 2018 10:51 PM In reply to

Brilliant, I've got the hang of this.  Your "different chemicals for different film stocks analogy" dis a good metaphor.  Ok, so after a quick look around the internet I found the following which seems, at least to me, to work fine in MC:

V-Log -> V-709 conversion 3D-LUT Compatibility (.TXT  : Compatible with Quantel Pablo  .Cube : Compatible with Davinci Resolve  .VLT  : Compatible with VariCam 35 (http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/enhance/gh5/index.html)

Ok, so I added this LUT, which keeps things as clean as possible, then did a basic contrast pull and cc tweak.  It seems possible to then add another LUT on top, which would be a workflow I'd like (cleaning up first, then adding "the look").  Is this sort of thing advisable?  Any further recommendations?

DC

• Thu, Aug 9 2018 2:06 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

What I understand is to do the basic grade before the Lut is applied, so the Lut doesn’t clip.

so the process would be to have the lut (using the Lut tool from the fx pallet) on the layer above your colour correction layer. So you view your correction through the lut.

Also this guy on YouTube is good on the Gh5 

https://youtu.be/znLS7h2dSXM

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller