Latest post Thu, Aug 9 2018 1:50 AM by Martin Fox. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 6 2018 3:47 PM

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 5 2010
    • Posts 30
    • Points 370

Audio keyframe, adjusting volume, need Shift?

Hello,

I just uppgraded my MC from version 6 to 2018_5.  Case is:

I adjust volume in timeline, using keyframes / rubber bands and I operate with two separate mono audios ( for example music, stereo L/R) and I want to fade audio a bit when narration with speaker starts. With the old version of MC I could only activate the tracks and start adjusting volume down. Both channels operated same time without choosing them.
    Now it seems that I need to click SHIFT-button and choose the keyframes that I want to adjust, before I can start adjusting. Otherwise both tracks are not adjusted.
    All in all: Do I really need to click shitf-button and choose keyframes on every track that i want to adjust simultaneosly?
    This is a minor detail but when I am adjusting/mixing for example music and voice over hole day, it means hundres of extra shift-pressings.
    Any tips or advises?
    Many thanks!

• Mon, Aug 6 2018 11:00 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

Re: Audio keyframe, adjusting volume, need Shift?

Yes I agree the “old” way requires less keyboard input (always a good thing).

my solution is to use the fact that the in - out marks will select all the key frames between them (track light dependant)

so let’s say I want to adjust volume on track 3 & 4

select those tracks

click the rubber band keyframe button to place a keyframe on those tracks

click mark in and Mark out on the keyframe

mouse click on just one of the keyframes

and both get highlights ready for adjustments 

(I’ve put all that on a macro, so apart from selecting the target tracks, the rest is one button press on my xkeys) thanks to “keyboard maestro “

i hope you find your way

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 7 2018 1:33 PM In reply to

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 370

Many thanks Martin! This makes life easier. Could you still open a bit more " the rest is one button press on my xkeys". Is there a way to make certain chain of buttons/assingments to be handled with only one button? Sounds really fantastic? Please tell more or send link to some tutorial.
    Best wishes!

• Tue, Aug 7 2018 11:57 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

Hi Ja

I’m using a macro program which enables you to record a series of keystrokes and mouse clicks, and then execute the macro with a single button press.

on a Mac there are two I’m aware of “quick keys” and “keyboard maestro “, and there is “quadro” for the iPad, which is good for having a dedicated device with button. With this you can use icons for the buttons to help you remember the functions.

for pc take look at the thread - “

is there a way to assign a certain effect to the keyboard?

i bought keyboard maestro because it was cheaper

for example if I want to adjust the volume of audio track 2 I hit the control and 9 buttons on my keyboard,

the macro then selects track2 in the mixer and makes it ready for my input, I can then use the shift arrow keys to adjust the volume or enter a value directly from the number pad.

Its REALLY functional, I got a bit of RSI from all that mouse action and button pushing, and that forced me into finding a better way.

i have lots of macros now

Take a look at super duper on you tube to see the power, this is a macro for doing multicam on mediacomposer 

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.3 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 8 2018 9:49 AM In reply to

• JaMa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 30
    • Points 370

Perfect Martin! Many thanks for tips and advises. I look into the matter and learn myself to take the macros in use also!
    best wishes,
    Jani

• Thu, Aug 9 2018 1:50 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,605

I hope you get somewhere with this,

I have been experimenting with better ways of software control, and have been following the threads concerning controllers on the colour grading forum “liftgammagain.com”

So far I have an xkeys 16 key button bank, Quadro, contour shuttle pro and something like this:

https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com/davinci-resolve-controllers/beatstep-resolve-edition/

i purchased “midigrade” which uses the midi fighter twister from djtechtools.com

Especially for audio mixing and controlling fx 

Macro s are a key part of this, as is controlling the knobs and sliders with software like controllermate.

please post your discoveries.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller