Latest post Sun, Aug 5 2018 9:00 AM by Telegram!. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 1 2018 12:54 PM

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 907
    • Points 11,610

Batch-Modification of Start-Timecodes

In my projects, I often need clips to be stabilized. I prefer a third party software (ProDad Mercalli V4+ SAL). The stabilized clips are exported as ProRes files in high quality. The problem is, that all stabilized clips have their start timecode set to 00:00:00:00, and I cannnot relink a sequence to stabilized clips.

I have managed relinking by a time consuming method:

1. I use SourceBrowser to link to original clips.

2. Then I use Source Browser to link to stabilized clips from Mercalli (same bin).

3. I apply a sort for increasing names, and get all clips alternately shown from origial media and from Mercalli.

4. I manuallly copy start timecode from original clip to Mercalli clip (line-by-line)

5. I transcode the Mercallli based clips.

6 I relink the sequence to the Mercalli based transcoded clips.

I could easily export thw bin as a whole as Avid Log Exchange file, which I can load into Excel. In Excel I can replace a whole section of start timecodes in one single step. The problem is, how to get the modified data back into MC?

Any idea?

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 2:12 PM In reply to

Re: Batch-Modification of Start-Timecodes

I would love to hear why you prefer that software, if you can. The only thought I have is to replace your un-stabile shots on the timeline with that 00;00;00;00 timecode from your ProRes HQ export. Would the stabilized Clips then Relink to the Sequence ?

Perhaps you can track original time code or make use of Relink by Aux TC?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:37 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,351
    • Points 62,770

Do You know of QTCANGE? https://www.videotoolshed.com/handcrafted-timecode-tools/qtchange/ Disclaimer: I do not work for them and do not push it around, but, that being said, this piece of software has a good reputation; I never used it myself but fiddling with the demo seems reasonable to me.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Aug 3 2018 9:26 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 907
    • Points 11,610

Hi Luca,

thank you for your information. I tested QTChange, however, it did not what I wanted it to do.

regards,

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Fri, Aug 3 2018 4:01 PM In reply to

and did you test MC Relink by Aux tinecode? 

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 4 2018 11:23 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 907
    • Points 11,610

Telegram!

I have not used Aux-timecode, yet. I will give it a trial.

I use Mercalli SAL, because the results are better compared to MC's internal stabilizer. Especially the fluid stabilizer (Avid) has problems with pans.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

• Sat, Aug 4 2018 2:05 PM In reply to

Yes! I have been using the Trial version and it is very interesting, so thanks for mentioning it. 

I can see why you would want an easy Relink or replace workflow.

QUESTION: What are you sending to Mercalli? Full camera clips or some kind of Export from the timeline, with or without handles?

ALSO: Are you using Linked / Transcoded clips from Mercalli ProRes export? Are you willing to use Imported ProRes ?

I noticed that I could do a video mixdown and then drop that Avid MediaFile/MXF/1/xxx.mxf into Mercalli.

Also was reminded that we cannot QTref from a sequence that includes Linked Media.

I had moderate success testing Relink after adding 00;00;00;00 to AuxTC1. But I was getting an error message when trying to Relink to exported Links or Transcodes.

• Sun, Aug 5 2018 6:59 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 907
    • Points 11,610

Telegram!:

QUESTION: What are you sending to Mercalli? Full camera clips or some kind of Export from the timeline, with or without handles?

I use my original camcorder clips for stabilization by Mercalli. 

ALSO: Are you using Linked / Transcoded clips from Mercalli ProRes export? Are you willing to use Imported ProRes ?

Usually I use ProRes 422 as output format from Mercalli, and import them into MC (qick import with ProRes).

I noticed that I could do a video mixdown and then drop that Avid MediaFile/MXF/1/xxx.mxf into Mercalli.

I have not tried this. However, the result from Mercalli will be a clip, where the start timecode is 00:00:00:00 again. This cannot be relinked in MC, only manual replacement on the timeline is possible.

Joachim

Joachim Claus

• Sun, Aug 5 2018 9:00 AM In reply to

OK, that all makes sense. Mercalli is dynamically correcting the whole clip anyway, in case you are using multiple sections from the same source clip.

I did notice 00;00;00;00; upon Link, but if I am not mistaken, I also got 01;00;00;00 upon Import, which is my Default Starting TC in General Setting, In the old days, changing that Setting would change the Starting TC of any imported clip. What is your Default  TC?

Relink with Aux TC1 , using “ignore extension” and “Name” was working for me but I was just testing only one Imported clip at a time.* It may be possible to batch Modify the 00;00;00;00 Aux TC1 onto all the source Clips sent to Mercalli, even after those clips were used in your pre-Mercalli sequence. 

Just to be clear: I was Relinking the ProRes Imported masterclip to the Sequence and it worked even with the original clip online. 

* I believe at one point during testing, I found that it was necessary to add a Aux TC1 value to the Imported ProRes master Clips, even though the TC I used was just a random number like 12;12;12;12. I did this testing very quickly and had a number of MC error messages along the way, especially when I tried Relinking Linked or transcoded ProRes Mercalli Clips. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller