Latest post Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:45 AM by Ian Withnall. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 1 2018 5:22 AM

• Ian Withnall
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 22 2015
    • Brisbane Australia
    • Posts 24
    • Points 265

HDD - How fast is FAST Black Magic Speed Test

Hi,

This is ageneral question, one that will no doubt start arguments...but one that is hard to answer.

I think it is hard to answer becuase all systems are different... 

I have all external media drives - Quite old G-Speed 4TB drives with two 2TB in Raid 0. WD Black mechanical drives!

They run into a 2010 Mac Pro with 12 3.33GHZ processors via Esata cards. 

On Blackmagic speed tester I get an average of 195-210 MB/s write and 220-250 MB/s read. 

Is that FAST... or just fast enough?

Generally seems fast enough?

My Avid Projects drive is a 1TB SSD but it is in the slower Mac pro 3GB/S slot so only does 250MB/s Write and 270MB/s read. 

How do these speeds compare to YOURS?

And should I be happy? 

Ian. 

Apple Mac Pro 2010 Sierra 12 Core 3.3 64GB RAM 1TB SSD BMD Studio Card. Esata 4 Port running G-Raid external drives USB 3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2018 12:29 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,351
    • Points 62,770

Re: HDD - How fast is FAST Black Magic Speed Test

Hi, FWIW, since I'm on the PC and with an internal four disk software RAID 0, although Black WD as Yours: with the BM Speed test I get 530ish MB/s read, 540ish MB/s read, more or less twice Your benchmark, which sounds fine since my stripe has twice the disks; with a couple of two disk hardware RAID 0, both external SATA with slower Seagate disks, I have some 200 write, 230 read on a box, and 225 write, 215 read on the other one, I guess depending on the external enclosure used, and still close to Your results.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 12:30 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,351
    • Points 62,770

PS forgot to mention, 2 TB stripe members!

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 2:52 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 431
    • Points 4,645

Ian Withnall:

As with many things, the answer is it depends.

On the demand side, how many video streams at what resolution with CODECs are needed? 

On the supply side, the stat of interest is the minimum, not the average sustained throughput. HDD's magnetic head move across platter shaped magnetic material. The heads have to move less near the center of the platters compared to the outer edge of the platters for any volume of data. Consequently R/W speeds are much higher for empty HDD than most full ones. All the more so if the data isn't in large contiguous blocks. SSD don't contain moving parts. They should have the same throughput for all parts of the drive.

Compare what you need with what you've got answers is it enough.

Hope this helps,

/mp

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2018 3:30 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,351
    • Points 62,770

Ian Withnall:

After comparing speeds, I'd say that a two mechanical disk stripe is OK for HD, it won't be fast enough for 4k. Of course with SSD drives it's different, the thing is that they provide plenty of speed, but are limited in size, and the bigger the disk, the more the cost. They are a blessing in 4k-8k workflow as for speed, but they hardly provide the needed room, unless You invest four time as much as for a comparable mechanical drives setup. I have 16 TB always on, and 16 more for backups, made of 2 TB drives striped, that's 16 drives, how much will that cost with the SSD prices for 2 TB drives ranging anywhere from some 300 euro for the low end, up to 450 euro for top of the line drives? At the moment I do not see them as a feasible option for gigs with plenty of high resolution footage, unless it is not linked, it's stored somewhere else, and the workflow is edit at low res and conform later.

peace luca

• Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:45 AM In reply to

• Ian Withnall
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 22 2015
    • Brisbane Australia
    • Posts 24
    • Points 265

I am a long way off all SSD systems.

It is still too expensive to replace my 24 TB system with SSD even with HDD back up. 

I also like to work in 4TB per drive. Seems to mitigate disaster to a scale I can deal with when things go bad. 

So seems lie I should be reasonably happy.

I. 

Apple Mac Pro 2010 Sierra 12 Core 3.3 64GB RAM 1TB SSD BMD Studio Card. Esata 4 Port running G-Raid external drives USB 3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller