Latest post Fri, Aug 3 2018 4:48 PM by RalphC. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:21 PM

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 31 2018
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Zip file doesn't create *.exe files

I downloaded media composer first from the website and have tried a number of ways to install it. Unzipping the file loads 11,143 files onto my maching (windows 10 - 64 bit) but does not unpack any .exe files. If I try to extract just the top-most file - Install Media Composer First.exe - I get an error that names the files and then says "no files to extract."

I've tried downloading and extracting many times but nothing happens.

r

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:47 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 1,724
    • Points 18,985
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Zip file doesn't create *.exe files

Hello rpetrie,

Check this FAQ.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 31 2018 11:34 PM In reply to

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Thanks for the response Ralph - sorry to say it's no help. The zip file unpacks fine in every respect - just doesn't unpack any .exe files.

r

• Tue, Jul 31 2018 11:56 PM In reply to

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Interesting - no .exe files, but I did find an .msi file - clicked on "Avid Media Composer First.msi" and it started to run, but ended with an error saying "your system does not support this version of Media Composer. Please consult the specifications information on Avid.com for supported configurations." Running windows 10pro 64-bit with 6 gb memory. Perhaps it's the amd driver that's not compatible? I've no way to tell.

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:41 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Unzip at the root of the c: drive, things tend to be iffy when the installer is behind a long path.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 12:05 PM In reply to

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Thanks for the response luca - I tried extracting the files to the root of the c: drive. The problem isn't that the .exe files don't function properly, the problem is that the .exe files are not extracted. When I focus just on a particular .exe file to try to extract it, winrar tells me there are no files to extract. Never seen anything like this before.

r

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 3:09 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,724
    • Points 18,985
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

rpetrie:
    your system does not support this version of Media Composer

May I know the machine specs? It's probably your CPU does not supports the Intel SSE4.1 instruction set.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 1 2018 9:27 PM In reply to

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Sure Ralph, it's an AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor with 4 cores. I'm running windows10 pro and the machine has 6gb of memory. The bios is american megatrends 6.03 (which is quite old, I know).

It may be so that the cpu would keep the systme from installing or even running if it installed, but I've never come across a hardware incompatibility that kept all executable files from being extracted from a zip file. That would give a high degree of intelligence to the zip file that I just don't think they're capable of.

Thanks,

r.

• Wed, Aug 1 2018 10:17 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 1,724
    • Points 18,985
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Defintely not qualified. Regarding the installation you are correct the hardware requirements has nothing to do with the extraction, not unless you're running setup without extracting the zip file first. I'm not on Windows 10 but here is a quick guide. 

How to unzip files on Windows 10

Windows 10 supports zip natively, which means that you can just double-click the zipped folder to access its content — and open files. However, you always want to extract all the compressed files before using them.

If you don't unzip the files, you won't be able to edit and save the new content in the same document, and if you're trying to install a piece of software, the installation process won't start.

Use the Extract All wizard

To extract all the files from a zipped folder, do the following:

1. Right-click the compressed (zipped) folder.

2. Select Extract All from the context menu.
    3.By default, the compressed files will extract in the same location as the zipped folder, but you can click the Browse button to select an alternative location.

4. Check the Show extracted files when complete option.
    5. Click Extract.

You said "The zip file unpacks fine in every respect - just doesn't unpack any .exe files. " This is what it looks like after you extrac the zip file, one exe and one folder.

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 9:16 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

rpetrie:
    I've never come across a hardware incompatibility that kept all executable files from being extracted from a zip file

I totally agree with that, I'd try to open the zip file with a third party utility, like WinRar or WinZip, instead of relying on the Windows built in compressed files management; with such utilities You can CRC check the integrity of the file, to double check that the download went well: in the Avid Download Center there's the MD5 Checksum right under the download link for the chosen application, at least for MC software (non First!).

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:53 PM In reply to

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:56 PM In reply to

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Thanks Ralph - the MCFirst directory is established and contains over 11k files. However, the "Install Media Composer First" application file doesn't extract - neither do any of the other executable files that should be in the MCFirst director - such as setup.exe in the installers directory. It's extremely weird, though having confirmation that my CPU will not support MCF, this is now academic - guess I'll have to try a different piece of software.

Thanks to you all for trying to help.

r.

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:58 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

My pleasure, if it only would work out fine!

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 2:12 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

PS not qualified doesn't mean that it won't work, it's only that Avid hasn't tested the system and cannot give support; I'm on an unsupported system myself, and successfully run the software! Double check that the CPU embeds the SSE instruction set Ralph refers to, You can use CPUZ to find out, or look at the CPU documentation, as some AMD CPUs won't work with MC, some other have licensed the SSE instruction set from Intel and are known to work.

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 7:39 PM In reply to

• rpetrie
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Ok! - well you gave me hope for one more try. I'll see what I see and let you all know.

Thanks,

r.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller