Latest post Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:52 PM by luca.mg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 25 2018 9:30 PM

• Brandalf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 25 2018
    • Posts 13
    • Points 205

Timewarp Issues

When I apply the Timewarp effect to a video track, I am able to speed it up, but the clip apears to be the same length in the Timeline, so editing in conjunction with other tracks is difficult. Is there a way to make the Timeline reflect the actual playback length?

• Thu, Jul 26 2018 6:07 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Re: Timewarp Issues

I hope I get this right, what You see is normal behaviour, and, as far as I know, the other NLEs behave the same. If You want the speeded up clip to be shortened according to the desired frame rate You have to use the non TimeWarp good old Motion Effect, applied to the clip loaded in the preview monitor, and then cut the resulting motion effect clip to the timeline, manually adjusting the sequence as needed; or else speed up the clip in the timeline using Timewarp, and cut or trim the extra lenght to Your likings.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jul 30 2018 3:32 AM In reply to

• Brandalf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 25 2018
    • Posts 13
    • Points 205

I don't understand. I'm already in the motion effect editor. What "good old Motion Effect" are you referencing? 

I'm in the Timewarp effect editor and when I speed it up, suddenly my timeline is completely wrong. I even made a sequence with just the footage I wanted, then applied the Timewarp effect and suddenly all the extra footage is there. It just speeds up playback within whatever the normal speed length of the clip is. Well that's completely useless for me. I need to be able to select what I want to see, then speed it up, then insert it in the timeline for the newly sped up duration of just that footage. What am I missing here? 

• Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:23 AM In reply to

Hi Brandalf,

There's two different ways one can create a motion effect in MC. One is using TimeWarp, like the one you describe. The other is an older method, which I think does what you want.

Load the source clip into the Source Monitor, set Mark In and Mark Out to select the section you want to speed up or slow down.

Now, with the Source Monitor active, open the Motion Effect Editor from either Tools->Motion Effect Editor, or using the button from Tools->Command Palette (or you can map that button to a key or button as desired).

This will bring up the "source-side" Motion Effect, which allows you to create an motion effect clip from this selection. Its duration is based on the combination of the speed you select and the amount of footage you have selected.

This new effects clip will load into the Source Monitor, after which you can splice it into your sequence.

Note that the "source-side" motion effect will have fewer rendering type options (no FluidMotion), but after you add the motion effect clip to your timeline, if you park on it and open the Motion Effect Editor, you can Promote it to a Timewarp effect, and all rendering options become available.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 30 2018 10:04 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Open the Command Palette (Tools menu), go to the FX tab, drag and drop the Motion Effect Editor command to an empty button in the source monitor (see the pict), close the Comman Palette, load a clip, set in-out points, click the newly cretated button, slow down or speed up the clip adjusting parameters to Your likings, click "Create and render", select a target bin for the motion effect clip, cut it to the timeline as You would do with an ordinary clip.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 9:45 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Sorry for the double post, I have had the notification of the post from Job roughly 24 hours late, the post didn't show up in the thread either before I got the notification, but I can now clearly see that Job posted before me, a forum glitch?

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:30 PM In reply to

luca.mg:

Sorry for the double post, I have had the notification of the post from Job roughly 24 hours late, the post didn't show up in the thread either before I got the notification, but I can now clearly see that Job posted before me, a forum glitch?

My post was held for moderation, I think it was because of embedded images (that apparently did not make it). Only glad that you chimed in, Luca!

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2018 1:52 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Unbelievable, a moderated moderator!! We only slightly overlapped, with two answers the picture is clearer. Glad it wasn't a forum's malfunction, and I hope the OP enjoyed!

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller