Latest post Sun, Jul 15 2018 4:05 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 15 2018 10:16 AM

Merge the MC Mac and PC forums

Is there any need for these forums to be seperate? Could not a simple drop down or title tag system be used to differentiate whether the user is based on mac or pc?

I often find that I'm asking a question that is platform agnostic and could be asked in either.  There are almost half as many posts in the mac forum so more potential for a question to be missed by someone who knows thae answer who is lurking in the PC forum?

Aside from Cmd/Option/Alt etc are there really any differences? As long as system specs are correct or included then I'd think this would be more sensible?

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 2018.9.0 Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 15 2018 11:19 AM In reply to

Re: Merge the MC Mac and PC forums

I'd rather leave them separate. I only know enough about the Mac OS to be dangerous.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jul 15 2018 11:31 AM In reply to

Yeah but why would you reply to a post that you can't answer? My point is that splitting the MC forums based on OS is causing people to split their questions and potentially not getting the widest audience they could be to get answered. I'm currently working on a mac but a load of the questions I've had recently could easily have been posted in the PC forum as well and I had to make the weird choice of choosing which forum I thought might get the most visability (PC).  It would be so much easier to just have one MC forum and a tag system so that it's obvious which OS you are using.  System specs should get us half way there anyhow, just add a field for OS in the compose window.

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 2018.9.0 Symphony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 15 2018 12:18 PM In reply to

I understand what you're saying, but you could make the same argument in favor of merging the Getting Started Fast, Options, Complete Your Suite, Film & 24p, Artist and Mac and PC forums into one big Media Composer forum because all of the questions relate to MC anyway. They're separated so the people answering don't have to wade through so much information.

Yes the PC forum has more posts than all the others, but questions in the other forums still get answered in a reasonable amount of time by people who know what they're talking about.

ripvanmarlowe:
    It would be so much easier to just have one MC forum and a tag system so that it's obvious which OS you are using.  System specs should get us half way there anyhow, just add a field for OS in the compose window.

1. Nobody uses the current tag system.

2. I have to ask people to include system specs so often I have it saved in a text expander.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jul 15 2018 3:05 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,134
    • Points 22,890

I for one look at the whole site not just One section.

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sun, Jul 15 2018 3:55 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Is there any need for these forums to be seperate? Could not a simple drop down or title tag system be used to differentiate whether the user is based on mac or pc?

I often find that I'm asking a question that is platform agnostic and could be asked in either.  There are almost half as many posts in the mac forum so more potential for a question to be missed by someone who knows thae answer who is lurking in the PC forum?

Aside from Cmd/Option/Alt etc are there really any differences? As long as system specs are correct or included then I'd think this would be more sensible?

Andi

+1. I completely agree with this, especially as it relates to understanding new MC tools/features. It would be great to simply link to an originating MAC thread as part of a new PC thread that broadens exposure to it.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 15 2018 4:05 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    but you could make the same argument in favor of merging the Getting Started Fast, Options, Complete Your Suite, Film & 24p, Artist and Mac and PC forums into one big Media Composer forum because all of the questions relate to MC anyway.

Well, those forums are for a very specific subset of user questions so it's useful to have them kept seperate.  The Mac and PC forums are for all general Media Composer questions, many of which, unless a specific OS related bug is present could easily be answered in either group.  

camoscato:

1. Nobody uses the current tag system.

2. I have to ask people to include system specs so often I have it saved in a text expander.

Fair enough on this, system specs are barely ever filled in. But the tag system could be made much more user friendly and intuitive so that it was very simple to add one as you post.  Reddit has managed this with great success. On top of that, we wouldn't be asking users to tag everything that post is relating to, just whether it's Mac or PC. That's hardly a challenge.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller