Latest post Thu, Jul 12 2018 4:23 PM by Pat Horridge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:15 PM

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 7,175

Low-rez to hi-rez tutorial?

Hello everyone,

I am getting back to doing some editing lately, and have a small project; a short documentary that I am shooting myself. The footage is full HD, 1080P 30p 72mbps AVC-HD .mov, so the files are large. My computer needs some re-configuring to handle this video and I wasn''t able to do the upgrade prior to project start. I digitized the footage at Dnx 45 with the intention of up-rezzing the final sequence to whatever the best format might be.

The Dnx 45 video plays back fine and i should be able to cut the entire project together without too many glitches. I am looking now for a tutorial that will take me through the process of up-rezzing. i checked out YouTube but didn't see anything directly related.

So...how would you handle this and what format would you export to as your final, highest quality copy?

Thanks.

All the orginal video files were copied to two hard drives as backup. The original SD cards are also available.

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:21 PM In reply to

Re: Low-rez to hi-rez tutorial?

The import first question is how did you "digitise" the source files (especailly as ther were already digital ;-)

Hopefully you were able to AMA link and transcode.

If so the conform process is farily straight forward.

If you imported then its not quite as easy but still possible.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:41 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 7,175

it's been a while. I did not AMA link to these files, I am not skilled using that method, for now, I perfer importing the clips, in this case, at Dnx 45. While I am nowhere near done editing, I thought I might investigate the up-rez process to avoid nasty surprises.

I guess I need to know the non-AMA linked version; thanks in advance for your help.

Would a DnxHD 220 final version be adequate for most use, or should I make a 1.1 copy?

Thanks!!

• Sat, Jul 7 2018 4:45 PM In reply to

The main issue with importing is that come the uprez you will have to batch import all the used sources at the required finishing quality (and thats determinded by what quality your sources are and what you need to output)

But, and the crucial difference with importing over AMA linking and transcoding is you have to import the whoel of each source file at finishing quality even if you only use 10 seconds of a 10 minute clip. This makes it slower and it eats up storage.

But if you start with importing you have comitted to finishing that way.

So the process of the uprez fior you will be to produce a mixdown quide of the low res. Take the low rez media offline. Restore the guide media. Then batch import the sequence. Ste the import options as needed re resolution and then let it re import all the needed clips. Re create any titles and re render all effects and you have a finishing quality timeline.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

• Tue, Jul 10 2018 11:49 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 7,175

What does "restore the guide media" mean? I was under the impression that I should take a mixed down sequence, delete the media files, then batch import the new media at higher resolution? Then re-create titles and effects. 
    Also, would you recommend up-rezing to DnxHD 175 or 220, or something else? I am looking for the highest quality master I can get, considering the source footage.

Thanks for your help.

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 9:05 AM In reply to

The guide is a mixdown of the offline low rez media. you don't delete the low rez offline media you just hide it from MC (in case you need to refere back to it) But the guide you want to keep online so you use it to compare with the hi rez media to be sure noithing has changed.

Also the Audio from the offline should be retained and not replaced with the up rez video.

Whats the intended use of the final media? You coukld do a short test of 220 and 175 and see which looks best.

-

• Wed, Jul 11 2018 11:54 PM In reply to

• bushfilm
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 7,175

I am so sorry to be so dense here, but I am having trouble following your post. I don't understand how you mixdown the offline low rez media; if it's offline, how does that work? Also, how do you "hide" it from MC? Again, sorry to be so dumb; I guess I need a step-by-step how to on this topic.

You would recommend 175 or 220 over a 1:1 or jpeg 2K version? I will do as suggested and try a couple of short tests to detirmine quality, I just thought you might know what the "gold" standard is.

Thanks for your help!

• Thu, Jul 12 2018 2:51 PM In reply to

• Julian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2018
    • South Africa
    • Posts 9
    • Points 95

Hi

I have found that unlink media is quite usefull for this.  I have created a short step by step guide that might help.

This is for just doing the media in the timeline you can re-import all media in bins but that would be a bit of a waste of HD space.  All your low rez media will still be available and can be relinked to with the relink tool.

1.       Render Timeline

2.       Right click in the timeline > Mixdown > Video

3.       Create a new track & Rename it to “Guide”

4.       Repeat for audio

5.       Place the mixdown onto the new track.

6.       Select all media in the bin

7.       Right click in the selected media > Modify > Unlink

8.       Repeat for each bin that contains media

9.       Right click on the sequence > Re-Import > Offline Only > Select DNxL 220 > OK

10.   (wait a long time)

11.   Sequence is now relinked to DNxL 220 (all other media is still offline)

12.   Select all media in bin Relink to “Highest Quality” (all the media in the Sequence will be DNxL 220 and all other media will still be your low res.)

If you want to change all the media back to low res then just re-link to “most compressed”

The guide mixdown is for in case you have issues relinking and you have Offline media in the sequence and need to see what it was and to make sure you have re-imported all media correctly.

Avid MC 2018; AMD Treadripper 1950x; Asus Zenith Extreem; msi gtx970; 32gig Gskill trident 3200mhz; EVO 960 250 sys drive; ibm 5014 raid0 with 3x3tb WD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 12 2018 4:23 PM In reply to

bushfilm:

I am so sorry to be so dense here, but I am having trouble following your post. I don't understand how you mixdown the offline low rez media; if it's offline, how does that work? Also, how do you "hide" it from MC? Again, sorry to be so dumb; I guess I need a step-by-step how to on this topic.

You would recommend 175 or 220 over a 1:1 or jpeg 2K version? I will do as suggested and try a couple of short tests to detirmine quality, I just thought you might know what the "gold" standard is.

Thanks for your help!

We use the term offline media to refer to media during the offline edit. Realy it should be caused low rez media. 

So I'd do a low rez mixdown and keep that media "online" so available.

There is no gold standard uncompressed is of course introducing no compression issues but its probably going to amke a file nearly 10 times bigger than you need.

The compression choice needs be no better than the source media as you won't gain more for using less compression.

-

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller