Latest post Sat, Jul 14 2018 8:43 PM by Dennis. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 27 2018 4:09 AM

• Dax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 2 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

MC won't install because of some Pro Tools plugins? Really??

Hi all,

Looking at these forums re MCF crashes on startup being caused by a Pro Tools install with certain plugins I find it unbelivable that Avid have not addressed the issue of PT and MCF being used side by side on the same OS! How could this have been overlooked? Not everyone is an editor only, or an audio mixer only. Some days I audio edit, other's I video edit.

Was so looking forward to using MC but do not have the time to muck around with my PT install for the sake of it. Please tell me this is being looked at??

Oh well, back to Preimere Pro.

• Wed, Jun 27 2018 4:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,358
    • Points 207,320
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC won't install because of some Pro Tools plugins? Really??

Umm Dax

This was documented and a co-install is explicitely outlined in the ReadMe documents.  The rub is that MC First uses Plug-in's from the Marketplace only as does PT First.  PT does not so when you launch MC First - it scans the AVX folders and if it finds there are plug-in's from other places, it halts.

It is being looked at but I dont have a date or anything on progress.  What you can do is use MC in trial mode to see if that works and then for a cheap $20 bucks a month, use it when you need it.  

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 28 2018 12:44 AM In reply to

• Dax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 2 2015
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hi Marianna,

Thanks for your response. Regardless if it is documented in the read me file or not doesn't really matter, these are the 2 flagship products from Avid but they can't run simultaneously on the same computer. That's the fact that sent my jaw crashing to the ground! I knew straight away that it was not my mac as it's a brand new out of the box IMac with 14 cores and only had PT installed on it. Quick check of the forums and the read me file confirmed my disbelief.

I've been a PT user for a long, long time and been forced to use PPro because of the company I worked for. Now, with my own company, it makes perfect sense to utilise both PT and MC together, expecting greater intergration for workflows between the 2 programs. And it's not about a cheap $20. I would be moving from Creative Cloud to MC Ultimate with alot of associated PT and MC hardware.... a serious 6 figure plus rig and studio. Using MC in trial mode is not an option.

Really hope this can be fixed soon before I have to commit to another 12 months with CC.

Darren

• Thu, Jun 28 2018 2:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,358
    • Points 207,320
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Darren

I sent you another email....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sat, Jul 14 2018 8:43 PM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 13 2015
    • Acworth Georgia
    • Posts 6
    • Points 50

I guess this thread hits on some of my frustration also.

I wanted to learn MC and get comfortable with it since I mainly been using Vegas for video and Pro Tools 10 with the DV Toolkit and Pro Tools 12 coinstalled.

Is it don't think it's reasonable to make it so existing Avid customers to uninstall other Avid products just to see IF the product will work?

So the current choices are to uninstall Pro Tools and Non-Market Place plug-ins, use the trial version and hope you can learn enough in the trial period and pay $20 a month after the expiration data or, buy another rig to run MCF.

What may be missing is the reality is that versions that are targeting new users need to be able to run on dirty systems whether there might be a large number of other programs running, with low end computers. Making the minimum system requirements outside the Best Buy discount Dell is probably going to force people into using a competitors software. 

It's understandable that MCF is still "new" and probably needs some feedback, Pro Tools 6.4 was significantly more picky than 12.X and the road was long and painful as they moved to split the HD(HDX) to create the "vanilla" version. Hopefully something can be done.

Dennis

Custom Win 7 i7-4790K 4Ghz 16GB Ram Avid Pro Tools 8.5 Avid Media Composer First 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller