Latest post Mon, Aug 6 2018 3:40 PM by Sion Roberts. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 21 2018 11:33 AM

• Sion Roberts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Manchester
    • Posts 28
    • Points 370

Performance issues on a qualified setup - any ideas?

Hello hive mind

Im having some performance troubles with my Avid machine and hoping some technical bods could give me some direction in troubleshooting/rectifying the issue.

Im an AE on a BBC drama, I'm currently looking after a (qualified) Z820 + Nitris DX setup, where we have three suites on an Isis 5000.

Im having troubes with my machine in particular. Avid is generally very sluggish - scrubbing up and down timelines is clunky, simple operations like marking/trimming/dragging are often accompanied by a second or two delay, as is stuff like renaming items in bins, switching smart tools, drawing shapes etc. Its almost as if there's a cyclical lag - every few seconds the interface will lock up whatever I might be doing.

I updated my OS to Windows 10 and upgraded to MC 2018.5 a couple of weeks ago to try and recitify the issue and at first, it seemed to have done the trick. However I think its gradually resorted back to the previous performance woes.

Interestingly, the same physical setup next door, albeit on Windows 7 and running 8.5.1, has none of the same issues - that Avid is smooth and snappy. So I'm hoping this is a configuration issue on my machine.

Ive done the usual cohort of tests - defaulting user settings, trying a new project, running ASDT, and nothing's made a difference. Short of cloning next door's HDD and going from there Im not sure what to try next.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

HP Z820 Intel Zeon CPU E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000. Windows 10 Pro, Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 21 2018 12:13 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 292
    • Points 3,390

Re: Performance issues on a qualified setup - any ideas?

There is an interesting note in the z820 configuration guide about onboard NIC choices. If the system specs in your signature/profile are accurate, it's possible you may be using an unqualified NIC if you chose the wrong onboard adapter.  

See this note:

Important Note regarding ISIS Connectivity based on CPU / processor generation: - The Z820 has 2 embedded NIC ports (82574L and 82579LM). - If your Z820 is configured with any of the new generation V2 CPU choices then both NIC ports can be used for ISIS 5000 / 7000 connectivity. - If your Z820 is configured with any of the original generation CPU choices then only the 82574L NIC port can be used for ISIS 5000 / 7000 connectivity.

and the source document here:

http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/config_guides/AVIDHPZ820ConfigguideRevF.pdf  

additionally, what version of ISIS/Nexis Client and server software are you running?

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Thu, Jun 21 2018 12:34 PM In reply to

• Sion Roberts
    • Not Ranked
    • Manchester
    • Posts 28
    • Points 370

Hey, thanks for the response

The machines have each got a dedicated Intel PRO 1000 PT for Isis connectivity. These are in slot 3 - so I think that's on spec?

We're using Isis server 4.7.7.16070, and client 4.7.11.16275.

Cheers

HP Z820 Intel Zeon CPU E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000. Windows 10 Pro, Avid Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 21 2018 2:19 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 292
    • Points 3,390

Hmmm, the pro 1000 should work. Have you run the nexis client profiler to check driver versions and send/recieve buffers?

I would also try using nexis client manager v7.11 or newer on the win10 machine. The NEXIS v2018.5 documentation says system directors v4.7.5 and higher are supported with the current client manager release. 

edit: you may also want to verify that your BIOS version is updated and the settings match the config guide. One thing I have found in the z series BIOS is the need to disable PCIe performance mode for some cards. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Thu, Jun 21 2018 3:19 PM In reply to

I'd extend those trouble shooting tests.

Create a local project and test that using shared media.

Then try a local project with locally copied media. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, Jun 21 2018 7:18 PM In reply to

The slowdown on 820 sounds familiar, does the amount of GB's in your attic have any impact on the slowdown? I've learned to rename my Unity Attic folder from time to time...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 3 2018 12:29 PM In reply to

• Sion Roberts
    • Not Ranked
    • Manchester
    • Posts 28
    • Points 370

Pat Horridge:

I'd extend those trouble shooting tests.

Create a local project and test that using shared media.

Then try a local project with locally copied media. 

Hello

Sorry for the slow reply... my workload quickly ramped up and I had to suspend testing. Have recently got back to it tho, and Im happy to say, your suggestion led me to finding the solution!

As the assistant, Im the point of ingest of rushes, and as such have hundreds (2 series worth of material!) of Avid MediaFiles folders on the ISIS associated with my computer's name, each containing the .db file which (I assume) my machine perpetually scans. This, it seems, has a major impact on the performance of Avid; the constant 2-3 second delays with creating/renaming bins, scrubbing around timelines, making edits etc etc... a major headache to say the least.

So the simple fix for now is - rename my machine, thus breaking that relationship with the databases.

Performance is back to normal. I'm kicking myself for not realising this weeks ago - it should be obvious...

To any other assistants reading this... on a big project its wise to come up with a renaming convention for the media folders to keep them from taking your computer's name. Its best to do this at the point of ingesting the rushes, or as soon as you've scanned the mxfs - before it goes into use for the edit - otherwise you'll get angry editors knocking on your door.

• Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,687
    • Points 211,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Pat - you are amazing!   

Sion....  glad it finally got sorted.  This is good information for a tech note for the Knowledge Base.  Im going to do one today so the next person doesnt get stuck

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Aug 3 2018 1:09 PM In reply to

• Sion Roberts
    • Not Ranked
    • Manchester
    • Posts 28
    • Points 370

Marianna:

Pat - you are amazing!   

Sion....  glad it finally got sorted.  This is good information for a tech note for the Knowledge Base.  Im going to do one today so the next person doesnt get stuck

Marianna

Thanks Marianna - great idea! If you'd like me to provide more details with the specific workflows.... those that I should've been adhering to Huh?... then let me know!

• Mon, Aug 6 2018 1:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,687
    • Points 211,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Sion

That would be amazing... can you email them to me?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Mon, Aug 6 2018 3:40 PM In reply to

• Sion Roberts
    • Not Ranked
    • Manchester
    • Posts 28
    • Points 370

Marianna:

Sion

That would be amazing... can you email them to me?

Marianna

Sure, no probs Marianna, I'll get that to you asap

Sion

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller